Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Who Understands More About Economics? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=305206)

hmkpoker 01-13-2007 01:22 AM

Who Understands More About Economics?

Two American voters are randomly selected. One's income is in the bottom half of wage earners in the country, and the other's is in the top 5%.

Which one has a better understanding of economics?

hmkpoker 01-13-2007 01:24 AM

Re: Who Understands More About Economics?

If you voted for the rich, please explain how it makes any more sense that major economic decisions be determined by a popular vote than it does to put a decision about aeronautic engineering to a popular vote.

Dan. 01-13-2007 01:25 AM

The Rich - Much more likely to have purchased a decent education.

Edit: Are you advocating a technocracy?

goodsamaritan 01-13-2007 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you voted for the rich, please explain how it makes any more sense that major economic decisions be determined by a popular vote than it does to put a decision about aeronautic engineering to a popular vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

The wording of your post is very misleading. What major economic decisions are decided by a popular vote? We have a republican form of government.

Shadowrun 01-13-2007 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Edit: Are you advocating a technocracy?

[/ QUOTE ]

if i had to make a bet i would go with the rich

bobman0330 01-13-2007 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the goal of a democracy is to make the "best" decisions about anything. If it were, our system would be bizarrely poorly designed.

llayner 01-13-2007 02:55 AM

I think you need to define your terms a bit better. My opinion is the poor know more about budget constraints and maximization within those on a micro level; the wealthy, being, lets assume, more educated (formal or informal) understand more about finance and investing. You can even go a step further and assume that because they are more educated they would know more about local, domestic and/or global economics (the macro).

To get to your question about economic decisions being made by popular vote or wealth vote, the reason it wouldn't make sense for an aeronautic engineering decision being made by someone who is undereducated in the field is it abstracts from a reality they play little role in. Economic decisions where competing groups push their self interest (both the wealthy and the poor) come to a more positive outcome than those made only by one sector of that self interest.

SuperUberBob 01-13-2007 04:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poofler 01-13-2007 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't we usually have this? Rich and educated people (Congress) make the decisions for us poor idiot peons.

Mickey Brausch 01-13-2007 06:15 AM

Human bondage

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]I voted for the rich.

As to your question, I simply do not think it's a good idea to assign exclusively to club bouncers, gangsters and ultimate fight champions the task of formulating the laws & rules of assault, although it's evident they're the most qualified experts on the subject.

Mickey Brausch