Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   It's been a while (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=3048)

gomberg 01-03-2006 10:33 AM

It\'s been a while

I've taken the past month off of poker (well, only a couple hourse here and there) and finally put in some decent hours yesterday. Here's the one semi-interesting hand I had.

I had been playing a very TAG game for the past hour, so that should be my image.

5/10 full. I'm in the SB w/ ~2k. One MP limps, LP limps (~2k as well), I complete w/ 8s9s, BB checks.

Flop ($40) 8c9cKc I lead for $35, BB folds, MP folds, LP raises to $90. He's been playing lag (a little too lag for full) and I think I'm ahead of his range here too often to fold, so I just call planning on firing almost all turns.

Turn ($220) Jh - I lead for $150, He thinks until the time is about to run out and calls.

River ($520) Qd - Hero...

AZK 01-03-2006 11:01 AM

Re: It\'s been a while

I probably check/fold to a decent sized bet. If you aren't good enough to check/fold, throw out a block for 1/2 pot. I would expect you to be good here close to never. He probably raises AK and every other Kbroadway or worse got there.

flawless_victory 01-03-2006 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop ($40) 8c9cKc I lead for $35, BB folds, MP folds, LP raises to $90. He's been playing lag (a little too lag for full) and I think I'm ahead of his range here too often to fold,

[/ QUOTE ]
it seems to me that is not really a great reason to call.

chuddo 01-03-2006 01:33 PM

give up.

gomberg 01-03-2006 03:59 PM

Nobody bluffs this river? This guy literally waited till there was a split second before time ran out to make the turn call. I really didn't want to call a bet on the river and felt that I could get him off a K w/ Qc or Jc or any other higher two pair with a bet based on the timing tell.

results are that I bet $500 and he insta-folded. My image made this a play as well (only solid hands in the session thus far at showdown).

prohornblower 01-04-2006 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody bluffs this river?

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of position? Or check/bluff depending on his bet?

Either way I don't like it. Too many hands beat you or at least call you here. There are 3 paint cards out there so he could have 2 higher pair, and also the straight possibility and flush possibility.

I go for check/call or check/fold if the bet is large.

kagame 01-04-2006 01:49 PM

is this a two way bet?

welcome back btw

gomberg 01-04-2006 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
is this a two way bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

no - it's more of a bluff than anything. I was almost sure I was beat by a higher two pair. Just figured with my image it was a nice time for a big bluff (as well as the timing tell). I guess he could have called w/ AcK, but I put that at maybe 2% chance of him having that.

gomberg 01-04-2006 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Flop ($40) 8c9cKc I lead for $35, BB folds, MP folds, LP raises to $90. He's been playing lag (a little too lag for full) and I think I'm ahead of his range here too often to fold,

it seems to me that is not really a great reason to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I put call > raise > fold on the flop. If I raise, I'm just bloating the pot OOP w/ 200BB stacks on a scary board. If a lot of money goes in, I'm either beat badly or close to a coinflip. Folding is ok as I am out of position, but I thought I could make calling a +EV move. Haven't thought about the math behind it though. Just was pretty sure he'd fold turn if didn't hit. I probably should have bet a little more than $150 though - as he could have misinterpreted me as being on a draw.