Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Internet Gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Get ready for a resurgence in the online poker boom (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=30394)

RainDog 02-07-2006 12:53 AM

Get ready for a resurgence in the online poker boom

I gleefully wet my pants today when I was going through checkout at Wal-Mart. Right beside the tv-guides and tabloids was a yellow stack of "Internet Poker for Dummies"...I kid you not. It was a nice, condensed, almost pocket size edition. Now every working wage shopper, stay at home mom, and degenerate high schooler are going to think they have the secret weapon. Online poker is going even more mainstream and new yet untapped markets are Sure to flood in. Now I'm just waiting for China.

1C5 02-07-2006 12:58 AM

Re: Get ready for a resurgence in the online poker boom

haha saw it at Publix today also.

anonymous21 02-07-2006 01:21 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0764578...5Fencoding=UTF8

RainDog 02-07-2006 01:32 AM

Yup. With those reviews it's getting on Amazon you'd think the book is up there with HPFAP. But the book's quality (or lack of) is not what really has me optimistic here. It's the book's placement at Wal-Mart and its location in Wal-Mart that has me thinking "$$$".

I find it interesting that in the editors comments on Amazon it seems one of the writers is a co-founder of GamesGrid. That's a pretty excellent marketing ploy for attracting fish if you ask me.

Overdrive 02-07-2006 01:36 AM

The Walmart I go to has had lots of poker related items displayed nicely. Just yesterday I saw Phil Gordon's little green book on a 4-way display in front of the magazine section at the front of the store. In sporting goods they had an endcap of poker chips with case - these were higher quality chips which are different than the other plastic ones in the toy department.

Just don't tell John Kyl or the other member of congress who are tyring to outlaw all forms of internet gambling - that is really the only stumbling block in the future as far as I can tell. As long as it's not made illegal and blocked by the US goverenement it's all systems go..

Push_Fold 02-07-2006 01:40 AM

Sweet...Another book to read after I finish Hellmuth's very informative book

mattw 02-07-2006 01:53 AM

the second to last time i was in barnes and nobles, the poker books were in the games/hobbies section.

the last time there, there was a poker section. it will only get better unless the US gov eff's it up. then its hello canada!

fire_fly 02-07-2006 05:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I gleefully wet my pants today when I was going through checkout at Wal-Mart. Right beside the tv-guides and tabloids was a yellow stack of "Internet Poker for Dummies"...I kid you not. It was a nice, condensed, almost pocket size edition. Now every working wage shopper, stay at home mom, and degenerate high schooler are going to think they have the secret weapon. Online poker is going even more mainstream and new yet untapped markets are Sure to flood in. Now I'm just waiting for China.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to spoil your wet dream, but my sister (?!?!) gave me that book before she was going to throw it away.

unfortunately it was surprisingly good, not ssh good, but good enough to make fishies into wannabe poser tags

Our House 02-07-2006 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry to spoil your wet dream, but my sister (?!?!) gave me that book before she was going to throw it away.

unfortunately it was surprisingly good, not ssh good, but good enough to make fishies into wannabe poser tags

[/ QUOTE ]
Some reasons why some players are fish:

1) They might flat-out lack the brain capacity we have.
2) They understand the game but choose to play otherwise because it's more enjoyable.
3) They may be degenerate gamblers.
4) They might be filthy rich beyond comprehension.
5) They could be stubborn and in denial; thinking their way is the best and blinding themselves from the truth.

Sorry to spoil your wet dream, but fish are the way they are because of the reasons listed above. No book at Walmart (or anywhere else for that matter) is going to change that.

Hellmouth 02-07-2006 09:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If they use it. 90% of the purchasers will do the following.

1) Read introduction telling them how profitable online poker can be.
2) Read starting hands guide.
3) Get bored.
4) Deposit
5) Forget starting hands.
6) Lose all their money.

Greg