Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Tournament Circuit/WSOP (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   council bluffs (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=301148)

chauchmeyer 01-08-2007 12:47 AM

council bluffs

First time caller, long time listener.

Anyway, I am going to play in the 1k event in WSOP Circuit Event at the beginning of Feb. I am a resident of PA and have no idea what to expect, but thought it would be cool to head out to the midwest in Febuary when it should be ridiculously cold with nothing to do except play cards. Dont ask....

If anyone is from around there or knows anything about it, I would be interested in picking your brain.

Thanks,

E

Matt24 01-08-2007 02:44 AM

Re: council bluffs

you can hit midwestern regional poker championship in feb also at caesars indiana-outside of louisville

chauchmeyer 01-08-2007 11:37 PM

Thanks for the response. I am actually all booked and have set hotel and plane flights in omaha.

Judging by the rampant outpour of responses I am guessing either not a lot of people are going or not a lot of people live anywhere near here.

Either way it doesn't look good.

spaceman Bryce 01-09-2007 12:56 AM

Im from kansas. I have personally decided that the Oklahoma State poker championships will be more fun than the council bluffs circuit event, although i wanted to play in the 300 dollar event. I aksed the council bluffs poker room guy about the blind levels in that event and they acted like i was talking about some random obscure irrelevant thing- blind levels what are those?? anyway i can tell you the 300 dollar event you start with 1500 chips and it will suck

RedWave 01-09-2007 02:33 AM

It will be cold, but you're from PA so shouldn't be too bad for you.

There is pretty much nothing to do in Council Bluffs. My suggestions: if you are interested in hockey you can catch an AHL game probably in downtown Omaha, plenty of bars in the old market area of downtown if you like that, there are a few decent restaurants in that area as well, I recommend Upstream if you like good beer and fish. If you are just interested in playing poker I hear the NL cash games are decent at Harrahs, you should try pm'ing Chief911 and asking him cause I think he plays there sometimes.

Just make sure you don't get lost in North Omaha and you should be fine...

chauchmeyer 01-09-2007 10:14 PM

Space:

Thanks for the response, I am doing the 1k. Man if it's 1500 in starting chips that would really suck. Hopefully, the blinds are 5 and 10 to start and 90 minute rounds....Yikes!!

What a feaking waste, hopefully the 5-10 game there should be easy, any recommendations on the cash?

Red:

Again thanks for the response. Man PA isn't 5-10 degrees as the high. Plus we got the steelers, cheese steaks n'at, sorry for making fun of any yinzers and steak heads.

I'll defintely be checking out the bars, you can count on it. Any good steak places? I'll try and hit pm up thanks.

Chief911 01-09-2007 10:41 PM

I'll post some of the info I PM'd Chauch:

Some quick info.

The cash games currently are 3-6 up to 5-10 LHE, and 1-2 and 2-5 NLHE. The NLHE are GREAT games currently. Lots of bad play. VERY passive except for a few guys who are very aggressive.

The tournament play by the locals is awful. Tons of weak tight play. There will obviously be some people who are better that come into town for the circuit, but the locals will be awful in general, and VERY unused to a better structure, since the local tourneys right now suck for structure, and turn into allin fests early.

I really dont know anything about the tourney right now, as they have to released structure or anything yet. But hopefully it'll be atleast 60 minute levels.

Nick

chauchmeyer 01-09-2007 11:42 PM

Chief, thanks again....

You have any ideas how many players may play in these events, most impotantly the 1k event.

E

RedWave 01-11-2007 01:10 AM

Upstream has good steaks as well, should have mentioned that before. Also, I heard Drover in mid-town has really good steaks.

riverdance 01-11-2007 08:57 PM

the old market has plenty of restaurants and bars to keep you occupied while not playing poker. if you want a good (albeit expensive) steak while in omaha, try omaha prime in the old market.

drover mentioned above is very good as well, but further west than the old market.

i will be playing the main event, possibly one or two others.