Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   How many Harvards? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=298231)

Wynton 01-04-2007 09:24 AM

How many Harvards?

When I attended Washington University in St. Louis many years ago, I recall people referring to it as the "Harvard of the midwest." (In what then passed as clever, there were also t-shirts saying that Harvard was the "Wash U of the East.") And today in some thread I've already forgotten, I noticed someone's alma mater was called the "Harvard of the South."

How many other Harvards are purportedly out there?

kipin 01-04-2007 09:31 AM

Re: How many Harvards?

lippy 01-04-2007 09:37 AM

The University of Minnesota is the Harvard of Minneapolis.

lippy 01-04-2007 09:38 AM

University of Phoenix is the Harvard of the Internet.

ChipWrecked 01-04-2007 09:40 AM

As I recall, MIT is the Georgia Tech of the North.

My alma mater Arkansas is the Harvard of Washington County, Arkansas.

nath 01-04-2007 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I attended Washington University in St. Louis many years ago, I recall people referring to it as the "Harvard of the midwest." (In what then passed as clever, there were also t-shirts saying that Harvard was the "Wash U of the East.") And today in some thread I've already forgotten, I noticed someone's alma mater was called the "Harvard of the South."

[/ QUOTE ]
That was me, referring to Rice University as the "Harvard of the South". FWIW I've heard the same thing about Wash U. I guess it's just for really strong academic schools that are in random places.

lippy 01-04-2007 10:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
That was me, referring to Rice University as the "Harvard of the South". FWIW I've heard the same thing about Wash U. I guess it's just for really strong academic schools that are in random places.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought Emory was the Harvard of the South

cambraceres 01-04-2007 10:04 AM

Oddly enough, Virginia Western Community College is reffered to as "Harvard on the hill", because the first professor to accept a position was a harvard professor for years.

Cam

JordanIB 01-04-2007 10:24 AM

Give me an A! "A!"

Give me another A! "Another A!"

Give me another A! "Another A!"

Welcome to Harvard.

miajag 01-04-2007 10:24 AM

I've heard Harvard referred to as "The Stanford of the East."