Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Phone shuffle (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=284254)

Izverg04 12-15-2006 05:36 PM

Phone shuffle

Three honest players decide to play a game of cards with a 36-card deck over the phone.

They need to deal the whole deck of cards in 3 equal parts, with the cards "face down". How can they do that?

Perplexity 12-15-2006 05:39 PM

Re: Phone shuffle

This isn't specified clearly enough.

mute 12-15-2006 05:42 PM

Sorry, I must be stupid, but I have absolutely no clue what you're asking?

amplify 12-15-2006 05:42 PM

Hang up and get two hookers and an eight ball.

dmk 12-15-2006 05:44 PM

go fish

mostsmooth 12-15-2006 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, I must be stupid, but I have absolutely no clue what you're asking?

[/ QUOTE ]
I meant, how do they play the game while on the phone?

-zero- 12-15-2006 05:53 PM

Whats so confusing? Hes asking how they can shuffle and distribute the cards so that each person only knows the cards they are personally dealt.

Izverg04 12-15-2006 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whats so confusing? Hes asking how they can shuffle and distribute the cards so that each person only knows the cards they are personally dealt.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is indeed what I was asking. The deal should be random of course.

bigalt 12-15-2006 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Three honest players decide to play a game of cards with a 36-card deck over the phone.

They need to deal the whole deck of cards in 3 equal parts, with the cards "face down". How can they do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

is this before or after the advent of camera/video phones?

PairTheBoard 12-15-2006 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is indeed what I was asking. The deal should be random of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

My shot at it in white:

<font color="white">Have each player take a fresh unshuffled deck of cards and lay them out on a numbered grid from 1-52. One player generates a sequence of random simple permutations that he instructs the other players to duplicate. For example, exchange the 12th card on the grid with the 27th card. After a few thousand such permutations the 3 decks will be identically randomly shuffled with the complexity high enough so that noone can follow any card through the process to predict where any of them are. One player takes the top cards, one the ones after that, and the third the ones after that. They are all honest so noone looks at cards he isn't dealt. </font>

PairTheBoard