Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   General question about AA (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=28132)

grossmeyer 02-03-2006 10:57 PM

General question about AA

Got a question...

What are the ideal conditions for limping with AA (and if you do limp, do you re-raise 100% of the time)? I open raise 100% with AA, but I have seen some cases posted on 2+2 where limping is a worthy risk. Just trying to get an overall feel for it. Thanks.

-Gross

Max Weinberg 02-03-2006 10:58 PM

Re: General question about AA

If there's a lag or a maniac behind you who sees a limp and immediately smells blood in the water.

grossmeyer 02-03-2006 11:00 PM

Surely that's not the only time? And I guess I'll have to change my percentage to 98% open-raising; I already do this when I have a maniac pegged. I am thinking more generally though.

-Gross

gobboboy 02-03-2006 11:09 PM

I don't open limp AA and I sure as hell don't limp it behind other players. HOWEVER, I do smoothcall raises in position with it or out of position against people who never check behind on the flop. Betting into them on a flop is also very solid if you want to get the money in.

betgo 02-03-2006 11:40 PM

If the stack sizes are such that they will feel pot committed to call your reraise allin.

If you have limped and folded to raises.

grossmeyer 02-03-2006 11:52 PM

Ok, thanks Gobbo and Betgo. That makes me feel better, because that's what I am already doing.

-Gross

kutuz_off 02-04-2006 01:04 AM

I always liked these two threads on RGP about AA

This here
And this

Max Weinberg 02-04-2006 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Surely that's not the only time? And I guess I'll have to change my percentage to 98% open-raising; I already do this when I have a maniac pegged. I am thinking more generally though.

-Gross

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess if you were playing live and saw some dude to your left reaching for chips, you could conceivably pull off the limp-reraise from EP.

Other than that, I'm real wary of the play. I suppose if I saw the same people day-after-day, I would mix it up sometimes just to throw them off, but in most cases you're better off just raising. I might do it with AKs on occasion because, while I don't necessarily want a huge multi-way pot, it has strong potential if nobody raises and a [censored]-ton of limpers follow behind me.

betgo 02-04-2006 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I always liked these two threads on RGP about AA

This here
And this

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, "This Here" has Paul Phillips, Daniel, Negreanu, and the famous exposure of cheating Russ Georgiev.

I think Paul Phillips makes a good point. A lot of times you will raise with aces and take the blinds or limp and no one raises. These seem like bad outcomes, but the problem is no one else had anything. So if you had limped instead or raised or raised instead of limped, you would still get a "bad" result.

SossMan 02-04-2006 11:19 AM

or, if the stacks are really, really deep in a major live tourney, I don't mind limping behind others and not falling in love w/ my one pair ATF.