Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   20/40 flopping quads vs overpairs, extracting max value (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=274851)

dark_horse 12-04-2006 02:56 PM

20/40 flopping quads vs overpairs, extracting max value

semi-aggressive and semi-loose 7 handed 20/40 live game. i have a tight, solid, winning image. i have the big stack at the table. i am quiet and calm and my reads have been very strong throughout the session.

i am UTG with 88 and raise. a young hoodie (don't know much about his play) 3bets me, and another unknown player caps it. it's folded back to me, and i am almost certain at least one of them has an overpair to my eights, possibly both of them. although the table is aggressive, there isn't much capping preflop, but lots of 3betting. i seriously considered folding, but finally called because i knew i could make a huge pot if i flopped a set. plus i was getting 5:1. i called planning to dump my hand if i didn't improve.

the flop comes 882. how would you proceed?

mikeyworm 12-04-2006 03:04 PM

Re: 20/40 flopping quads vs overpairs, extracting max value

Bet and call flop and c/r turn. I think that you can't risk trying to c/r this flop since therer is a chance it could go check/bet/raise and you check 3-bet which will slow down even some of the most aggro palyers with an overpair on a paired board.

jba 12-04-2006 03:19 PM

check for now. if only one bet goes in on the flop, bet/3bet on the turn. If >1 bet goes in on the flop, else c/r the sucker with the lead.

The DaveR 12-04-2006 03:21 PM

Depends on the flop action, but my plan would be bet/call, bet/3-bet.

brettbrettr 12-04-2006 03:38 PM

I'd play this like an overplayed TT-JJ and probably bet-3-bet, then likely c/r the turn.

(Young hoodie?)

brettbrettr 12-04-2006 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I try to do this live they freeze to my turn bet.

The DaveR 12-04-2006 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Every time I try to do this live they freeze to my turn bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think hero has a much spewier image than you in this game and has a much better chance of pulling this off. That plus there's a very good chance that AA/KK is out there.

dark_horse 12-04-2006 03:53 PM

the only people i have a spewey image to are other 2+2ers. the other players just think i am a nut peddler. in fact, someone made a comment about it last night. "jeez man, you only play the nuts?" think about it from their perspective.

The DaveR 12-04-2006 03:58 PM

Off the top of my head I can remember two sessions where you sprayed Ace high against Bobby G and that annoying kid Mike with long hair. Both times I was at the other end of the table and there was muttering that you're nuts. People will remember the 1 hand in 500 that you seem to play maniacally, not the other 400 you folded preflop. Trust me on this.

dark_horse 12-04-2006 04:08 PM

i've gotten better with this. but most of the people at the table are players i played with almost every day over the summer, and i am aware of what they think of me. you've only sat with me a handful of times, and i do think coincidentally those were days i sprayed too much vs bobby etc. i understand that people remember those wacky hands over all others, but over time i've toned down that crap. who knows.