Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Are there cards which like me? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=26852)

Ludanto 02-02-2006 12:20 PM

Are there cards which like me?

Hello,

my first post and I hope that is not a "false start".
The following question is meant seriously but there are people who think that the answer is not obvious. Is there anybody who thinks that there are cards which "like me" or cards which "don't like me"? I mean cards which I can favour because they bring me luck or bad luck. I am curious if there are people in here (serious players) who do have this kind of supersticious thoughts and act according to them.
To make things a little bit more clear: my father has played cards (5 card draw poker) for money and started to play online a little bit lately. He thinks that there are cards (like Q or 7) which "like him" or bring him luck. I don't have that opinion but he really wanted me to ask this "good cards" question on a forum with serious players.
I hope there will be people who believe that my question is meant seriously [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Songwind 02-02-2006 12:28 PM

Re: Are there cards which like me?

Cards have no memory. People who think they have a "lucky hand" are just remembering the times their lucky hand held up and forgetting the times it didn't.

Unless of course your "lucky hand" is AAAKK. That hand is pretty darn lucky, I find. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

SheridanCat 02-02-2006 12:55 PM

I'm with Songwind on this. The cards are random and over one's playing life the distribution of those cards will be pretty much as expected. They have no memory, though there will be times when a particular hand seems to be holding up a lot. You remember those times and a pattern starts to form in your mind.

I see players play their "lucky hand" all the time. Maybe a guy will always play 69[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or A3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. There's probably not a lot of harm in that - it's a very small leak and it may serve to randomize one's play a little bit. Sometimes you might even be correct to be playing those types of hands.

But it's important to understand that those hands are no more or less "lucky" than anything else.

Regards,

T

bacats32 02-02-2006 12:56 PM

Actually I have software that keeps track of my cards and position. So yes I think there are cards that like you and cards that don't like you. Not necessarily per say a 7 likes you or a Q likes you but rather your starting hole cards. I lose more with K-10 so I no longer play them unless I am a blind suited or not. And I win alot with 10-10 more than I do with JJ or QQ so I push my 10-10 a little more. (That is based on percentage hand won not dollars won because even though I may win alot more money I win more hands per say with 10-10) So find which are yours and then you can go with it.

OrangeKing 02-02-2006 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I have software that keeps track of my cards and position. So yes I think there are cards that like you and cards that don't like you. Not necessarily per say a 7 likes you or a Q likes you but rather your starting hole cards. I lose more with K-10 so I no longer play them unless I am a blind suited or not. And I win alot with 10-10 more than I do with JJ or QQ so I push my 10-10 a little more. (That is based on percentage hand won not dollars won because even though I may win alot more money I win more hands per say with 10-10) So find which are yours and then you can go with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to point out an example of why this is silly, I'd like to know how many times you've gotten TT, JJ and QQ, and the difference in winning percentage between the three hands. I am willing to bet you haven't had nearly enough hands to make these kinds of determinations. It's not a personal attack on you, so just be honest, and we can show how what may seem to you like a large number of hands may actually be a very small sample with insignificant results.

SheridanCat 02-02-2006 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just not correct. Any patterns you are seeing like this are the result of short term variance or are caused by your playing the stronger hands incorrectly based on an incorrect perception. There is no way that TT wins more than JJ or QQ if both are played properly.

You need to re-evaluate how you're playing these hands and also how you're playing KT.

My apologies for being so blunt about this, but what you're saying is just wrong.

Regards,

T

Guthrie 02-02-2006 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow. I'm a loser with AKs after 40K hands, so you're saying I should stop playing it? I'm a winner with A2s, so maybe I should start playing it more.

What's the difference? AKs is a premium hand, so I always play it and I always raise with it. Always. And I have a bad habit of making continuation bets with it into too many opponents who wouldn't fold if I hit them with a baseball bat. So rather than stop playing it, maybe I should take a look at how I'm playing it post flop.

I rarely play A2s, but sometimes the pot offers odds and I limp, and then sometimes I hit the nut flush with a lot of suckers in the pot. If an ace hits the board, but no flush draw, I rarely stick around to see some donk's slightly bigger kicker.

Ludanto 02-10-2006 06:00 PM

Thank you all for the answers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

blindfold 02-11-2006 02:01 AM

google "juice" and "poker", those are the only cards that would always like you regardless of their rank

otherwise youre still in the same game we are

thelyingthief 02-11-2006 11:50 AM

if you havent perceived that poker is bullcensored yet, you're in for a long long row to hoe. in fact, even if you have that understood it's a long row.