Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Computer Technical Help (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Securing my PC (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=266962)

maniacut 11-23-2006 10:00 PM

Securing my PC

I have a counterfeit copy of Windows XP and I've tried but there are some default stops in place by Microsoft that prevent me from downloading updates, i.e. Service Pack 2. Now I've heard that this leaves my computer vulnerable to serious attacks in the future that would likely have to be solved by formatting.
How much of this is consistent with what you believe? and...Should I update my copy of XP to a genuine copy of XP?

goldtoes 11-23-2006 11:33 PM

Re: Securing my PC

[ QUOTE ]
Should I update my copy of XP to a genuine copy of XP?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Gugel 11-24-2006 12:07 AM

though i dont particularly condone using counterfeit software, i think that your PC would be more secure if you choose to get some good internet security software than if you update windows.

btw, i would go with PC-cillin over Norton.
http://store.royaldiscount.com/trendmicro.html has killer prices, free shipping, and I've had good experiences with them.

BiPolar_Nut 11-24-2006 12:09 AM

Definitely update to a legit copy. Don't go to your local electronics store to buy it tho, google for "XP Pro sale" or "XP Home sale". I've bought legit XP Pro copies (original install cd and license) for $120, and license-only deals as low as $90 (final total after shipping). That was for Pro, too, not home. Far better than either the $299 retail for Pro or $199 retail for Home.

[ QUOTE ]
Now I've heard that this leaves my computer vulnerable to serious attacks in the future

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm no. You're vulnerable NOW.

You can also buy a license direct from MS (their WGA check that Microsoft Update installs gives you a link to click on) but I've never done this and don't know what they charge. It's worth checking though.

Unless you know the exact version of XP you have (meaning OEM, "corporate" (Volume licensing), or retail, you won't be able to just buy a license and use a "registration key changer" to get it legit. Even though they're all XP Pro, the license keys have different formats. A Open Volume keu won't work on a OEM disc, an OEM key won't work on a Retail versions, etc.

If you currently have XP Home, you cannot upgrade to XP Pro...but if you have Pro and buy a Pro disc w/ license, you should be able to do an "in place reinstall" and get it legit without having to reinstall all your programs.

The easiest way would be to go through MS when you go to use Windows Update and they install WGA (Windows Genuine Advantage), then just click the links til you get to the price. If they want $299, then it may be worth your while to buy a legit Pro copy via google/mail-order and do an in-place reinstall.

Sorry if that's confusing...but MS no longer uses simple crappy product key measures (like when you could use all 1's w/ a 2 at the end for any MS product many years ago).

If you need clarification or help, post back here or PM me.

maniacut 11-24-2006 02:45 AM

Thanks for taking some time to help me out BPN. Local store has it at 159.99 CAD on their site. WGA through Microsoft has it at 149.99 (I think it's USD). I did a little looking around on ebay and I can probably save a few bucks there i.e. here

This Microsoft page told me I have Windows XP Professional but as far as OEM, corporate or retail I have no idea.

This Microsoft page shows you how to change the product key. I ran the tool and it was able to verify that some of my system files had not been tampered with.

Putting all of this together I'm thinking this tool would likely work for me if the copy/product key I buy is the same version/format as the OS installed. Am I right in thinking this? Is there a way I can know what my exact version of XP is or what exact version I could buy to update the key?

Thanks for taking the time to read this
Ed

BiPolar_Nut 11-24-2006 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking this tool would likely work for me if the copy/product key I buy is the same version/format as the OS installed. Am I right in thinking this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a way I can know what my exact version of XP is or what exact version I could buy to update the key?

[/ QUOTE ]

This I'm not sure I can find the answer to quickly. Do you still have the counterfeit cd? The "flavor" of the install is determined by a line (maybe more than one line) in one of the .ini files on the installation media...but I would have to do some digging to get the specifics.

edit: I know I said before you can't use the key changer from a different flavor but the more I thought about it...that may or may not be accurate. I know for a fact that you can't do a fresh install from a corp CD using a retail key, etc...it's *possible* the product key changer from MS *might* work on any "flavor" of the same OS...but that'd really stink if you dropped $159CA only to find it doesn't work and you have to reinstall the OS and programs!

I'm about to go Zz-zZ but I'll try to see what I can come up with tomorrow between tasks if you have the cd you used to install it.

On a plus note, *if* you can in fact use the key changing util, then you could save a few more bucks and just buy a license (no cd). The drawback to that would be if you had to reinstall, you'd have to use the counterfeit copy then change the key....oh, wait...you said you were still on SP1. That be a long download for updates (unless you downloaded the network install cd for SP2 if it's still available from MS...then you'd do the counterfeit XPSP1 install, change the key to the legit license, then install SP2 from the SP2 cd...still a pain but better than downloading another 80MB).

Freakin 11-24-2006 04:53 PM

vista does come out in like 3 months. it seems silly to buy an XP license right now.

BiPolar_Nut 11-24-2006 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
vista does come out in like 3 months. it seems silly to buy an XP license right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you like to wait til at least SP1 before installing a new MS OS [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

There are already a bunch of flaws/bugs/exploits for Vista that are not going to be fixed by the time Vista is on the shelf. XP support won't end upon Vista's release.

Heck, I still run 2k in my VM's.

maniacut 11-25-2006 01:59 PM

I don't even have SP1 as it looks like that needs a valid key as well... I'm likely going to get it from MS through WGA because thats the only way I know I won't get screwed over at the moment.

Thanks for all the help.

Suigin406 11-25-2006 02:54 PM

it is worth getting a genuine copy, but with vista coming out, that's a tough call...i wouldn't get too thrilled over the service packs though and u can provide better security for ur computer without the high cost of resource use...

i would recommend a combo of avg/nod32 for antivirus and sygate/outpost for firewall...i use a combo of these and didn't even bother to update to SP1 as i don't want to waste the HD space and more importantly, the resources and clutter brought by SP2...it's worth noting i use firefox since a good amount of the updates are aimed at IE...i haven't had a problem and i've been doing this for years now...just a suggestion