Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   SOP in postion w/ AK (general question) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=266204)

Brocktoon 11-22-2006 05:17 PM

SOP in postion w/ AK (general question)

When facing a normal raise from a non-steal position early in an MTT (say you have >30BBs) holding AK and with position on the raiser is this a re-raise situation or a time to just call and see a flop?

I've been doing both and I'm not happy either way. Calling only to fold the flop UI seems too weak and re-raising often puts me in very tough spots on the flop where I feel I'm committing way too many chips on such a marginal holding early on.

Any thoughts on playing AK early on in an MTT are appreciated. Its giving me fits.

Fiksdal 11-22-2006 05:20 PM

Re: SOP in postion w/ AK (general question)

Post a specific hand with reads on the raiser and everything, and you'll get better responses. In most of the situations though, I like to re-raise.

lanerunner 11-22-2006 05:28 PM

In general, call the raise. AK is great to push around an unraised pot, pressure the blinds, but remember its still a drawing hand. You're a dog to the monsters (pocket AorK's) and at best a coin flip to a pocket pair.

Fiksdal 11-22-2006 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but remember its still a drawing hand. You're a dog to the monsters (pocket AorK's) and at best a coin flip to a pocket pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post doesn't apply to all situations obv, but a lot of them.

If you put him on AA/KK (which you normally have no reason to do btw) then you shouldn't even call in the first place. And also, a normal villains opening range will include plenty of hands that you dominate in addition to the pairs.

If you want to play tight-passive, fine, flat call.

If you want to play power TAG poker, rrrre-raise.

Brocktoon 11-22-2006 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Post a specific hand with reads on the raiser and everything, and you'll get better responses. In most of the situations though, I like to re-raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its a pretty straightforward question as written but if it makes you feel better:

Level 1 of a $10 MTT on stars.
Blinds 10/20
All stacks ~1500

PREFLOP: UTG limps, folded to MP who raises to 80, folded to me in the CO with AKo.

I have no read on MP. This is the first hand he's raised but we've only been playing for 5 minutes.

My action...

Fiksdal 11-22-2006 06:15 PM

In this situation I make it t250. Don't get me wrong, flatcalling isn't horrible.

betgo 11-22-2006 06:41 PM

In general, reraise with AK. You have to consider the player, stack sizes, table, etc. Calling is also generally OK.

In fairly high buyin or late in a tournament, I pretty much always reraise, as a reraise often takes the pot right there.

hamnegger 11-22-2006 07:17 PM

i think a mix of 50 50 ear;ly is effective some ppl are soooo predictable w play of ace king this gives you some deception and the chance to win nice pot from ace q or kq if flop hits u