Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   H on H ? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=265954)

530uts 11-22-2006 10:19 AM

H on H ?

I have ordered H on H 1&2 + a "workbook" ?
But I'm wondering what it is that these books cover that others dont..
I have already read ..
SS1 & SS2
Theroy of poker
Tourny. poker for adv. players
THFAP
Sklanskys "holdem"
Zen & the Art of poker
Tao of poker
TJ's championship holdem
Ace on the River
Holdem poker by nick/ken warren?
internet holdem
& I'm in middle of sklanskys nolimit & theory / practice

with this in mind am I still missing out by not reading HOH ?

diebitter 11-22-2006 10:22 AM

Re: H on H ?

HOH1-3 is THE tournament manual. Nothing comes close.

530uts 11-22-2006 10:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

in short .. why ?

diebitter 11-22-2006 10:54 AM

I don't do 'in short'

1 is a good primer for playing stacks where the blinds are tiny. It's a good a NLHE book as any you said except maybe NLTAP.

2 is gold, how to play in middle-late as the blinds/antes grow relative to stacks, among other things.

3 goes through different hands decision by decision to see how good tour critical poker thinking is. (Phil Gordon's Little Blue Book is similar, and worth getting)

I'd trade all my other poker books for 1+2 alone.

mornelth 11-22-2006 11:18 AM

What is the point of asking these questions AFTER you ordered the books?....

1 will be boring to you, but read it for examples
2 will help with mid-late game
3 is a good self-test + thinking material

530uts 11-22-2006 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the point of asking these questions AFTER you ordered the books?....

[/ QUOTE ]

becasue they are still 3-4 days out & just want to understand why they are basic reading for mtt'ers

Yes I'm going to read them anyway .. But want to hear a review of the books from 2+2 ers

-Thanks

mornelth 11-22-2006 11:38 AM

What I liked about all 3 the most is Harrington's unhurried, thoughtful explanation of the thought process behind every decision. For that alone - if you do not read book #1 in it's entirety - read the examples.

diebitter 11-22-2006 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What I liked about all 3 the most is Harrington's unhurried, thoughtful explanation of the thought process behind every decision. For that alone - if you do not read book #1 in it's entirety - read the examples.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes they are good. I'd like to see some hands laid out in here the same way (not from the book„but our own hands). You know ‘I'm in BB with A8off, and MP2 raises x3BB, and the button ans SB calls. What do
I do?' along with stack sizes, blind sizes, and quick overview of player tendencies noted. We discuss each decision point before the outcome given and the next stage laid out. That would kick ass.

hencole 11-22-2006 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly that. Whilst Super System is called the poker bible, HoH is the tournament manual. It really doesn't leave any of the thought processes out which other books seem to do.

The examples are a bit like the 2+2 forums in book form, with Harrington breaking down the options available. HoH 2 is essential reading for those that struggle with short stacks, particularly cash game players for whom that part of tournament play is alien.
It's very well written too, though not free of the predictable 2+2 typos. Does anyone even read the books through before printing them?

RichC. 11-22-2006 12:01 PM

If you want the "In Short" version,

Its because we all said so. This is the one time where you dont ask questions like "Why?", but you just accept the truth as told to you.

Think about it like this, pretend you are an avg North Korean citizen, you are told the Kim Jong Ill is the greatest person in the world. You dont question it, you just know it is the truth. Same here, it is the truth, HoH is the tournament manual.