Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Puzzles and Other Games (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   Modding a game, advice? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=264559)

clowntable 11-20-2006 03:26 PM

Modding a game, advice?

Hi,
because there is no way to get a turbo started here [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] I have decided to mod a game at another forum (totally not WW related University forum) to get some interest going there.
Any advice would be welcome, I want to keep it as simple as possible (villagers, wolves, seer, maybe angel, probably not)
Basically my questions are:
- What's a good distribution of roles to make the game balanced (I remember 12-4 bit I'm not sure)
- What happens in case of a vote tie, I could work around this by an odd number of players and no angel

Any other suggestions etc. are more than welcome [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

ScottHoward 11-20-2006 03:32 PM

Re: Modding a game, advice?

i think a pattons baby role is mandatory

durron597 11-20-2006 03:37 PM

13 man turbo = 3 wolves, 1 seer who gets a n0 peek, 9 villagers
11 man turbo = 2 wolves, 1 seer who doesn't get a n0 peek, 8 villagers
9 man turbo = 2 wolves, 1 seer who does get a n0 peek, 6 villagers

don't put angels in turbos omfg

tabako 11-20-2006 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these all equally balanced? It seems that losing 2 villagers for a n0 peek is bad for the village (from the 11 player game to the 9 player one)

traz 11-20-2006 03:40 PM

If you're modding a turbo and want to make a good impression, then 13 is the LEAST amount of players you should have. (9/3/1)

If you want to mod a long game, well then I don't really know, but it depends on how many players you think will actually play

clowntable 11-20-2006 03:43 PM

Maybe I was unclear. The game is not supposed to be a turbo. Because only players who never played before will participate (and on of them mods) I don't think that is a good idea.

the turbo part of my post was just general frustration [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Edit: I assume around 20 wil play and thanks for the advice so far.

durron597 11-20-2006 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are these all equally balanced? It seems that losing 2 villagers for a n0 peek is bad for the village (from the 11 player game to the 9 player one)

[/ QUOTE ]

imagine there's a guaranteed lynch of a villager that isn't the seer, and that the seer doesn't get eaten. then you gain a day of info, making the 11 man favor the village more. however that isn't guaranteed to happen (like the game nuggetz eskimo and I ate bluffblank the seer before he got a peek, that was sweet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). the chance for that to happen balances against the day of info for the village

13 man adds one wolf and one villager (advantage +wolf) but also gives the seer his n0 peek back (advantage +village)

durron597 11-20-2006 03:48 PM

i just posted this in the average speed 9 signup thread

13 - 3 / 1 / 9 peek
15 - 3 / 1 / 11 no peek
17 - 4 / 1 / 12 peek
19 - 4 / 1 / 14 no peek
21 - 5 / 1 / 15 peek (this is debatable)
23 - 5 / 2 / 16 no peek
25 - 6 / 2 / 17 peek
27 - 6 / 2 / 19 no peek

that seems right to me... 3 * 2 / 1 * 2 / 9 * 2 + 1 (compared to a 13 man turbo) there's an extra villager but no peek

------

around 21 it gets weird whether you should add the 2nd seer or not yet

clowntable 11-21-2006 08:18 AM

Looks like it will happen.
I have 15 so far and will proably get around 22-25 by tonight.

I have decided to do one Thread per day, are there any drawbacks to this, has this ever been discussed here?

I will mainly do it because I will try to automate countif with wget+Python (eventhough I'm sure it will fail)

Also, what's the tie braker for 2 with equal votes? Both die, noone dies, rand-kill? I think rand would really suck because all are new players and being rand-killed is not the best to keep them motivated [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

durron597 11-21-2006 09:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I will mainly do it because I will try to automate countif with wget+Python (eventhough I'm sure it will fail)

[/ QUOTE ]

lol good luck

[ QUOTE ]

Also, what's the tie braker for 2 with equal votes? Both die, noone dies, rand-kill? I think rand would really suck because all are new players and being rand-killed is not the best to keep them motivated [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

rand kill

it's not a big deal if you tell them in advance so they don't let it go to coinflips [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]