Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Televised Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   You're on tv and you look like hell? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=257562)

William 11-10-2006 10:22 PM

You\'re on tv and you look like hell?

I'm watching right now an episode of "poker miljonen", a swedish tv poker tourney and 5 out 6 players are unshaved long-haired young guys in dirty t-shirts.

This is how it has always been live, and not only in Sweden, but how come the first couple of years tv poker showed presentable players and not anymore? Have producers decided that poker is now so big that it is not necessary to keep lying anymore and it's ok to show who the real players usually are?

Kevmath 11-10-2006 11:10 PM

Re: You\'re on tv and you look like hell?

I guess they're saving money by not having a wardrobe budget, like the early WPT days.

stereoman 11-11-2006 01:47 AM

Weird that. I assume the Swedish TV show is a sister show to the Ladbrokes Poker Million over here in the United Kingdom. We generally get snappy dressers on our shows (it's probably the London setting that makes people put on the suits even if it is inside some TV studio).

The early WPT days were weird. Remember Phil Hellmuth's unshaved look and black sweater!? Yikes. [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

grdred944 11-13-2006 03:03 PM

Anything is better than this NASCAR-ization of poker. Christ, Andy Bloch had his DVD t-shirt on one minute and then his FullTilt gear on the next during interviews for the WSOP HORSE final table. Reminds me of when a racer goes into the winner's circle and everyone is trying to get their hat on his head.

olivert 11-13-2006 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anything is better than this NASCAR-ization of poker. Christ, Andy Bloch had his DVD t-shirt on one minute and then his FullTilt gear on the next during interviews for the WSOP HORSE final table. Reminds me of when a racer goes into the winner's circle and everyone is trying to get their hat on his head.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players stealing a page from the marketing handbook used by the likes of Earnhardt and Waltrip is inevitable.

Rule #1 in sports entertainment: thank everyone who pays your bills.

darom03 11-13-2006 06:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker players stealing a page from the marketing handbook used by the likes of Earnhardt and Waltrip is inevitable.

Rule #1 in sports entertainment: thank everyone who pays your bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

When the poker boom hits China, I hope there will be a strict dress code.

Can you confirm that Olivert? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]