Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Are we morons or experts? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=257310)

phish 11-10-2006 04:00 PM

Are we morons or experts?

Typical 3-handed 1/2 game.

I'm in BB w/ K8.

Button raises. SB folds. I call.

Flop is 567, rainbow.

I checkraise the flop. he call.

Turn: 5672

I bet, he calls.

river: 5672A

I bet. He raises.

What should I do and more importantly why?

(p.s., I thought for about 3 seconds and acted w/ confidence)

Nate tha\\\' Great 11-10-2006 04:10 PM

Re: Are we morons or experts?

Betting the river is a mistake.

James282 11-10-2006 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting the river is a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. If you want to continue check/call is okay.

James

phish 11-10-2006 04:58 PM

I agree betting the river was a mistake. But what do I do now?

(p.s. the reason I bet the river is because I had planned to bet the river no matter what came. That is cause I've been playing a bit of stud lately and had a couple of hands where I bet the river blind (pretended to look at my river card, but really didn't) and they both worked out.

(One hand my opponent called but couldn't beat my pair of 8's. The other hand my oponent folded to my K high)

So the notion of betting blind was in my mind and I just decided on the turn that I would bet the river no matter what came.) (more evidence to argue for moron instead of expert?)

stinkypete 11-10-2006 05:58 PM

(your mom)

James282 11-10-2006 06:20 PM

If it's a live game you could three-bet which would be pretty awesome imo. Online, if you're contuining, you have to just call. Even online, I usually fold here barring a read.

James

phish 11-10-2006 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If it's a live game you could three-bet which would be pretty awesome imo. Online, if you're contuining, you have to just call. Even online, I usually fold here barring a read.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but think about how the hand must appear from his point of view. What does he think I'm likely to have? On the turn? and then on the river?

phish 11-10-2006 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(your mom)

[/ QUOTE ]

??? why? was this hand against you?

James282 11-10-2006 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but think about how the hand must appear from his point of view. What does he think I'm likely to have? On the turn? and then on the river?

[/ QUOTE ]

He thinks it's likely for you to have a pair lower than an ace, but I think an ace is a fat part of his range as well(though suited smaller cards are possible as well). If you three-bet river, you can easily have 2 pair or a straight and many players will fold 1 pair hands(mostly live, not online, though there are a few against whom you can do this).

James

moneyshot 11-12-2006 08:34 PM

easy fold-- that's what you get for leading on the river.

If you really wanted to get tricky, a check-raise is a better play than bet-call.