Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Middle set -- how should I have played it? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=253839)

jbrennen 11-06-2006 12:47 PM

Middle set -- how should I have played it?

My first hand posting here; I hope it's okay. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Here's the situation. This is my third hand at the table, I bought in for the $40 minimum and doubled up on my first hand when I flopped bottom set and doubled up through the big stack at the table who flopped top two pair (the CO in this hand). My current stack is $88.

MP2 is one of the Full Tilt Pros, with a $240 stack.
CO is the big stack at the table with $796.

I had a tough decision here, but figured that I had no fold equity, could be behind in a set vs. set matchup, obvious flush and straight draws out there, and with no redraw to speak of (other than the case Jack), I mucked the 2nd nuts. Am I playing scared, or was this a reasonable laydown?

Full Tilt Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP1 with <font color="red">A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] </font>
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="red">Button raises to $8.50</font>, 3 folds, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: <font color="red">5</font>[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($39, 4 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets $39</font>, CO calls, Button folds, Hero folds.

RoundTower 11-06-2006 12:49 PM

Re: Middle set -- how should I have played it?

This is terrible.

jbrennen 11-06-2006 12:53 PM

Only click if you want to see the opponents' hands, and what my actual pot equity was on the flop:

http://twodimes.net/h/?z=2167329

Hattifnatt 11-06-2006 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My current stack is $88.

[/ QUOTE ]
lead flop or c/r all-in.

haz31 11-06-2006 01:01 PM

You have 44 BB, its a raised pot, MP2 didnt raise preflop which lessons his chance of KK, you have middle set.

If you aren't willing to beat them into the pot with your hand here, then muck preflop.

DROP DOWN to a level which you are bankrolled for, as this is like the most textbook example of scared money. No offense intended with this, but omaha isn't about 90/10 edges.

jbrennen 11-06-2006 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lead flop or c/r all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, my intent was to check/raise the flop, but somehow I talked myself out of it between the check and the raise. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
If you aren't willing to beat them into the pot with your hand here, then muck preflop.

DROP DOWN to a level which you are bankrolled for, as this is like the most textbook example of scared money. No offense intended with this, but omaha isn't about 90/10 edges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I think this hand isn't characteristic of my play. I've made much gutsier calls with bigger pots in the past for big wins.

I think I just needed to be told what a stupid play this was on my part -- which I already knew.

guilt_trip 11-06-2006 02:12 PM

With $88 stack I'd be getting it all in on this flop as quick as I possibly could. How come you were willing to get it in with bottom set so easily shortstacked but now you have middle set you're scared?

Watching how some of the FT Pros play at times you could easily have enough EV here. You'll see TTP, AQxx w/clubs or something of the like more than KKxx here

jlacks 11-07-2006 01:21 AM

The actual hands here are atypical. Usually you figure to either be drawing to one out, or up against straight and flush draws. This is the classic tough situation where you are either slightly ahead or way behind. The slightly ahead situation seems much more likely here based on the play and the fact that you are short stacked means you absolutely can not fold here. The real question is lead out or check raise. Check raising has less appeal here based on your stack. Once its been bet it seems unlikely you can get anyone to fold - so I would favor betting right out.

TxRedMan 11-07-2006 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero folds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

If you both had 600 BB's behind and an awesome read, okay, maybe you fold.

But you played that hand and basically wound up with a very good flop for it, and you folded?!?!?

This is weak-tight at it's finest.

I'd say you're probably not bank rolled for this game based on this one event alone.

Variance is part of poker.

If villain has KK, so be it, and if he has AKQ10 w/clubs, so be it, but he'll also show you a wrap no clubs, bottom set, top two, top and bottom pair, and sometimes nothing at all here.

-Tex

bdotgates100 11-07-2006 05:42 AM

easy.. you shouldve potted instead of checking with middle set. If he repots, he has the kings, so fold. If he calls, he's on a draw, so pot the turn if no draws hit. Omaha 101 it's simple