Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Student Life (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   GRE WOWOWOWO (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=252819)

MoreGentilythanU 11-05-2006 12:14 AM

GRE WOWOWOWO

I just took the GRE Physics subject test after graduating with a degree in physics from Brandeis University.

WOW.

I think hopefully I got 10-20 problems out of 100. So sick.
By the way, this is a test that I could have done well on if I studied for like a month for because it was basically a memorization test of the various physical laws. Nothing really innovative about it, though it's not as though I was in any state to solve some sort of original problems.

IronDragon1 11-05-2006 11:13 AM

Re: GRE WOWOWOWO

[ QUOTE ]
I just took the GRE Physics subject test after graduating with a degree in physics from Brandeis University.

WOW.

I think hopefully I got 10-20 problems out of 100. So sick.
By the way, this is a test that I could have done well on if I studied for like a month for because it was basically a memorization test of the various physical laws. Nothing really innovative about it, though it's not as though I was in any state to solve some sort of original problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why didn't you start studying sooner?

MoreGentilythanU 11-05-2006 12:08 PM

pokr

HajiShirazu 11-07-2006 02:24 AM

Unless you are like playing NL $1k or above and are a big winner taking the time to study for this test (even 1 hour per day for a month and a half) and probably doing 200 points better as a result is worth it, since you can get into better grad schools = more realistic chance of decent industry/teaching position/less postdocs after you graduate = 100's of thousands of $ over lifetime.
But seriously if you did really bad, and 40 raw score is about a 750 which is a good score if you are American so it's probably not as bad as you think, just go somewhere for a masters program, then take it again next year and try to get in somewhere good from that.

IronDragon1 11-07-2006 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pokr

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotcha. I'll leave the rest of the heavy lifting in this thread to you.

recipro 11-07-2006 02:31 AM

The GRE sounds fun. How much does it cost to write?

HajiShirazu 11-07-2006 02:45 AM

$130 I think. I just registered last week. You can get a waiver if you are poor. Actually I am poor, since poor = your parents being poor, but didn't get a waiver form in time.
You would have to be crazy to think these are fun. I dread the general test, so long.

xorbie 11-07-2006 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

good to see you got your money's worth.

recipro 11-07-2006 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You would have to be crazy to think these are fun. I dread the general test, so long.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, the LSAT was fun, and I'm sure I would have enjoyed the SAT, if I'd written it. How long is long? Over/under 6 hours? (I'd probably write the Physics one, as that is my major.)

xorbie 11-07-2006 04:24 PM

the general GRE isn't long at all, you can go at your own pace.