Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Why can't the Dems come up with a strategy? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=250917)

John21 11-02-2006 01:52 PM

Why can\'t the Dems come up with a strategy?

I'm really at a loss to explain what the Democratic strategists are thinking. Don't they realize that by calling GW an idiot they're also calling everyone who voted for him an idiot? And by calling the war in Iraq idiotic, don't they realize they're calling everyone who supported it an idiot?

Whether you think GW or the war is idiotic, it doesn't seem to require that much common sense to know that offending the people you want the support of is not a very bright move.

They had an out with this entire issue, that would have allowed the Americans in favor of Bush and the war to save face, but for some reason, maybe pride, maybe arrogance, they chose to ignore it.

The simple strategy would have been to say that America and our troops have done their job and now it's up to the Iraqi people. Basically, spin it into a victory. Yet they continue to attack the very people they're hoping to convert to their view.

In my opinion, the Dems have missed a huge opportunity to advance their cause, but the Republicans have noticed it. The spin coming out of the White House is it's the Iraqi people's problem. And a few more instances of the Iraqi government interferring with and redefining our military's rules of engagement, will be all the reason GW needs to justify a withdrawal.

All I'm saying is that nobody likes being called an idiot, and nobody likes being told they were wrong, and most Americans don't like being told they lost - yet the Democratic strategists seem to be doing exactly that.

Why can't they just say: like most Americans the invasion of Iraq seemed necessary at the time; we got rid of a tyrant; established a democracy; and sent a very clear message that any regime that in anyway supports a terrorist attack on Americans will be destroyed. That's all the American people need to hear.

It just seems like they're more concerned with being right, than doing what's right for the American people.

hmkpoker 11-02-2006 01:55 PM

Re: Why can\'t the Dems come up with a strategy?

For Democrats, failure is not an option.

It's a mandate.

Dan. 11-02-2006 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the invasion of Iraq seemed necessary at the time; we got rid of a tyrant; established a democracy; and sent a very clear message that any regime that in anyway supports a terrorist attack on Americans will be destroyed. That's all the American people need to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying Democrats should lie to the American people?

John21 11-02-2006 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the invasion of Iraq seemed necessary at the time; we got rid of a tyrant; established a democracy; and sent a very clear message that any regime that in anyway supports a terrorist attack on Americans will be destroyed. That's all the American people need to hear.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying Democrats should lie to the American people?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's a question of lying, as much as choosing to highlight the areas that people agree on, and not focusing on the areas where people disagree.

nicky g 11-02-2006 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, spin it into a victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough people are stupid enough to buy this to make it a useful strategy.

The Democrats are faced with a problem that someone did something so stupid and destructive that the resulting situation is more or less impossible to fix. They are left trying to find a sensible solution to an impossible situation and naturally can't come up with or agree on much. This paradoxically makes the idiot who caused the problem and keeps claiming his latest useless plan will help "turn the corner" look better than them.

As I said in another post, no plan is better than continually following the plans of the person who caused the mess and keeps making it worse.

John21 11-02-2006 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Basically, spin it into a victory.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough people are stupid enough to buy this to make it a useful strategy.

The Democrats are faced with a problem that someone did something so stupid ...

[/ QUOTE ]

The continual references to 'stupid' is my point. There is absolutely zero effort being made to come up with any positives.

Even if they have to go to extremes to find a positive to focus on, it will do more for their cause than exclusively emphasizing negatives.

bisonbison 11-02-2006 05:04 PM

The democrats don't need to campaign on a national strategy. It's not a presidential election.

However, given that half the GOP has defected from Bush on the war, I wouldn't say that its the dems that lack a coherent message.

CarlSpackler 11-02-2006 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really at a loss to explain what the Democratic strategists are thinking. Don't they realize that by calling GW an idiot they're also calling everyone who voted for him an idiot? And by calling the war in Iraq idiotic, don't they realize they're calling everyone who supported it an idiot?

Whether you think GW or the war is idiotic, it doesn't seem to require that much common sense to know that offending the people you want the support of is not a very bright move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both Bush and Kerry are complete idiots and dumasses who don't possess to the leadership ability and knowledge to be an effective mayor of Omaha, let alone President of the U.S. And everyone who did vote for either of these guys is an idiot with regards to how they voted in the 2004 election, me included.

I voted for Kerry, because after much analysis I came to the conclusion that he was the lesser of 2 evils (mainly because the repubs controlled congress and 9/11 should have been prevented), and I strongly regret not voting for a 3rd party candidate or writing in the name of someone else who is actually somewhat qualified to be president. I've been honest with myself since then, and I will never take the lesser of 2 evils approach again when voting.

Sounds like you voted for Bush, and now pride is messing with your head. Anyone who voted for Bush and still doesn't regret it, is either being extremely dishonest with themselves, or they are just plain stupid. I seriously don't know if I could even trust the guy to babysit my dog. Same goes for Kerry.

CharlieDontSurf 11-02-2006 07:09 PM

When people ask what their plan is for Iraq they should just trot out Wesley Clark or Joe Biden...those two are the only dems who seem to have any idea of possible solutions for Iraq

nicky g 11-02-2006 07:36 PM

I'm not a Democrat if that's what you're insinuating. I'm not from the US, and I have very little time or respect for the Democratic establishment.

That said, I can't believe you are serious about "trying to find something positive" in the Iraq mess to focus on. It would do little for their cause, given that it would mainly boost the people who carried out the war, and would be a completely ridiculous and disgusting exercise given the horror of the situation there.