Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Poker (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   NLCASH: Opponents buying in short (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=249107)

Agamemnon 10-31-2006 09:18 AM

NLCASH: Opponents buying in short

I see a lot of people buying in short in my games. I always sit down with a full BI of $50 at Prima, but most of my opponents sit down with $15-$30.

Kind of a stupid question, but do they gain anything by doing this (other than annoying the hell out of me)? Are there any strategy adjustments I should make when playing shortstacks?

Thanks.

jay_shark 10-31-2006 11:47 AM

Re: NLCASH: Opponents buying in short

There are definite advantages to buying in short especially if there are better players than you at the table . If you're prone to tilting , then there is another reason to buy for the minimum . If you're the absolute best poker player and tilting is never an issue , then you should buy in for the maximum all the time .

SoBeDude 10-31-2006 12:27 PM

I know several players who buy in short.

All of them do it for the same reason:

Fear of losing their stack.

So in their mind, going all in and losing means they lose less money. They're ignoring the upside of having a big stack and doubling up, they're just focused on the downside.

Generally these are people you can push around.

-Scott

Agamemnon 10-31-2006 12:56 PM

Thanks, jay and SoBe!

dboy23 10-31-2006 12:59 PM

I find that the players that buyin short in HU cash are usually horrible and might as well write you a check for 80% of their stack and save time. This was true for limit at least.

roommate 10-31-2006 02:09 PM

Rumor has it that there is actually a "perfect" way to play shortstacked in a full ring game... I know this is a HU forum... but maybe there is a similar strategy that is hard to exploit using a short stacked...

Fact has it that even if there is said strategy... most people who buy in shortstacked will leave empty handed because they are donks.

~rob

steve1401 10-31-2006 04:04 PM

there's a big advantage of playing short: people call ur all-in bets more often.
u join a nl50 cg with $12. after posting blinds 1 or 2 times u get a hand and raise to $2. 2 callers u hit, pot is 6.5 and u check-raise them all-in. u get called more often and by worser hands.

Agamemnon 10-31-2006 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there's a big advantage of playing short: people call ur all-in bets more often.
u join a nl50 cg with $12. after posting blinds 1 or 2 times u get a hand and raise to $2. 2 callers u hit, pot is 6.5 and u check-raise them all-in. u get called more often and by worser hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
Them? I'm talking about HU here.

roommate 10-31-2006 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
worser

[/ QUOTE ]

HAR HAR HAR HAR

~rob

dboy23 10-31-2006 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]