Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Beginners Questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Poker Variants:Specialize or Learn Them All? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=239279)

LouisCyphre 10-18-2006 09:40 AM

Poker Variants:Specialize or Learn Them All?

I started out playing $1/$2 LHE and I am working my way up the limit ladder and I believe SH-LHE is my best game at the moment.
But I also play NLHE,SH-NLHE,7CS,7CS8,PLO,SNGs,MTT. Now I am convined that all of those games are complex enought to not be able to excel at all of them.
Is it better to strive to master one poker variant or should you be versed in more than one?

PRO Specialization:
-------------------
-Faster learn rate resulting in greater hourly rate
-boredom might cause you to play robotic mindless poker

CON Specialization:
-------------------
-Better game selection
(eg.I clear bonuses with 7CS+PLO on sites where HE is a rock garden.Also important in B&M)
-another game might provide a change of pace and keep your mind sharp
-ability to take advantage of profitable opportunities
(eg.MTTs with overlay)

Thoughts?

LouisCyphre 10-19-2006 11:18 AM

Re: Poker Variants:Specialize or Learn Them All?

I would have liked some feedback.
Can you at least tell me what decision you have made for yourself? Stick with one or play a multitude of games?

Arnfinn Madsen 10-19-2006 11:37 AM

Specialize, I have played professionally now for 1 1/2 years and think I am very good in quite a few different limit games, but still now after playing no limit full time for 3 weeks my winrate is far from impressive.

Why is it that low? Simply because even if I am good at poker and understand the no limit game as well, I misinterpret a lot of my opponents' actions and miscalculate how my actions will affect theirs, due to lack of esperience in that game. It takes a lot of hands to get these things straight and everytime you change game or limit you have to go through much of the process once again. What separates a really good player from a decent one is finding those ev-edges that are deeply "hidden" in the game and that takes a lot of hands and a putting a deep mental effort into observing.

egordo877 10-19-2006 10:10 PM

for an aspiring online professional in 2006, i think the most important thing is to get very good at nlhe, with limit holdem being a somewhat distant second; studying and playing all the different forms of poker made it more fun for me but its not the most profitable way to be right now IMO.

hopefully that will change sometime in the distant future and omaha/stud variants will get really popular or something. but these days, for online play, i wish I was good at nlhe instead of having to settle for the significantly smaller action at middle stakes limit games (not to say that im all that good at those either).

Josh. 10-19-2006 10:55 PM

leaning them all before learning one form very well seems like a bad idea. there are so many common strategies strategies across all games game that you should first get a deep understanding of one game so you can apply these advanced concepts to the other games

Spy 10-20-2006 02:52 PM

While you will see the most instant profit by learning just one game, we cannot predict the future. What is a great game now may not be a great game later, and I think that once you become solid with one game, it is essential to learn others to be a great player in the long term.

I think things such as misinterpretations due to game would disappear when you had enough experience.

Webster 10-20-2006 04:42 PM

Specialize - then when you get bored, in a streak or just need to learn, start dabbelign in something else.

I play 90% Limit but also know how to play NL, Omaha H/L and Badugi. When I need a change of pace it;s good to go to something else.