Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   DiCaprio: Scorsese's new De Niro? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=235407)

tdarko 10-13-2006 12:45 PM

DiCaprio: Scorsese\'s new De Niro?

Leo gets some guff around here sometimes and it is of course from the over-watched, over-acted, bubble-gum Titanic. But since 1997 (Titanic) he has only starred in 6 films despite constant offers, offers that are could bring in money but were movies that ended up sucking. He has carefully picked movies and in my eyes has picked either challenging/great roles or if he misses, a la The Beach at least he is taking risks.

My question is this: Is Leo Scorcese's new DeNiro? 3 of Leo's last 4 films were Scorcese films (The Departed, The Aviator, Gangs of New York) and 3 of Scorcese's last 4 films starred Leo (3 of his last 3 if you don't count his Bob Dylan Documentary in which there were no actors). It seems that Scorcese has found a new favorite lead or that maybe the torch is being passed. Any thoughts on this being a good or bad thing since he is either loved or hated around here?

Also, Leo is producing a few adaptations coming up: Malcolm Gladwell's <u>Blink</u>, Robert Ludlum's <u>The Chancellor Manuscript</u>, Kurt Vonnegut's <u>Cat's Cradle</u>, and the Pulitzer-winning <u>The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt</u> which is to be directed by guess who, Scorcese.

Leo is also supposed to star in an upcoming biopic of Timothy Leary which could be very interesting since we have already seen him do the druggy basketball guy in The Basketball Diaries. This movie could be great...here is more on Leary if interested-- link

xxThe_Lebowskixx 10-13-2006 03:09 PM

Re: DiCaprio: Scorsese\'s new De Niro?

Well, its obvious that Scorcese likes what he sees.

surfinillini 10-13-2006 03:18 PM

Dicaprio is a good actor

he played possibly the best retard ever on screen in Gilbert Grape

Dementia 10-13-2006 03:27 PM

He's definetly nailed some roles. His performance as an addict in the Basketball Diaries was incredible.

lippy 10-13-2006 03:58 PM

I didn't LOVE his roll in The Daprted, but it was good enough to not detract from the movie.

Marky Mark stole the show for me.

Quinn Warren 10-13-2006 05:33 PM

His performance in Gilbert Grape doesn't hold a candle to This Boy's Life. By far his best, imo.

Aloysius 10-13-2006 06:00 PM

Tdarko - The Departed really changed my mind on Dicaprio. Didn't have a strong impression of him either way. While he was great (to echo other posters) in This Boy's Life and Gilbert Grape, didn't leave an impression on me with his more recent roles.

Maybe it was the character in Departed that was perfectly suited for him (tortured, vulnerable anti-hero thing), but whatever - dude was f'in amazing and IMO the best thing in Departed (and I liked the movie as a whole quite a bit).

I may have to watch Gangs of New York again, not that memorable to me in any way. Not sure if he will ever be anywhere near a worthy succcessor to DeNiro, but looks like Scorcese is hoping he will be.

IMDB says he's attached to star in Teddy Roosevelt biopic - I read the book it's great, and I can see him as a young Roosevelt, looking forward to it.

-Al

amplify 10-13-2006 06:06 PM

I have had a soft spot for Dicaprio since The Quick and the Dead. He was great in Gangs too. I really can't think of a performance of his that I didn't like.

gumpzilla 10-13-2006 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, Leo is producing a few adaptations coming up: Malcolm Gladwell's <u>Blink</u>

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. I've only read the first chapter or so (at an airport bookstore while waiting for my flight to board), but I have an incredibly hard time imagining this. Maybe I need to get back to work on that screenplay for Godel, Escher, Bach.

ThaSaltCracka 10-13-2006 06:14 PM

If Leo had never been in Titanic, people would give him his proper props. He is pretty damn good.