Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Even the National Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=230189)

AzDesertRat 10-06-2006 05:16 PM

Even the National Review

a very conservative publication is getting into the act bashing the new anti gambling legislation.

Article

An excerpt

[ QUOTE ]
The folly of this is bearable — what the hell, it shouldn’t come as a surprise when legislators pass stupid laws — but the thing that grinds your gears is that these particular people should presume to worry about other people being reckless and profligate with money. When Congress stops salivating every time a piece of pork gets dragged though chambers, then they’ll be qualified to take measures to prevent the rest of us from spending the rent money on the lock of the week. I’ve got more faith in my ability to pick the winner of the Ravens/Broncos game — against the spread, of course — than I do in Congress’ capacity to balance the budget, fix Social Security, or even just to say “no and hell no” to a multi-million dollar bridge to an uninhabited island in Alaska

You want a sure thing? Bet against Congress to balance the budget. If you can find anyone, that is, who will take the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe there is hope after all because people from all sides are beginning to see the absurdity in it.

gila 10-06-2006 05:21 PM

Re: Even the National Review

Lol, that's a good one.

adios 10-06-2006 05:32 PM

And in the absursidity in the Safe Ports provisions that were the main thrust of the law that was passed. I posted a reference to WSJ editorial regarding the problems with the Safe Ports provisions yesterday that ended up in the politics forum. But I readily concede that these laws get "tweaked" often so we probably haven't heard the last of the Safe Ports provisions or laws about Internet Gambling.

LesJ 10-06-2006 05:32 PM

It's nice to see a true conservative voice speak in this issue.

crzylgs 10-06-2006 05:36 PM

I love how almost every single conservative voice has spoken out against the Act. Unintended consequences, Mr. Frist?

Lawman007 10-06-2006 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how almost every single conservative voice has spoken out against the Act. Unintended consequences, Mr. Frist?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it looks like that fascist Frist may have really stepped into a big pile of crap that will stain him for the rest of his life.

JPFisher55 10-06-2006 06:17 PM

Great article.

xJames2112 10-06-2006 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's nice to see a true conservative voice speak in this issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

elevationzero 10-06-2006 06:42 PM

of course conservatives are against this type of legislation, the title of this thread alone shows the fundamental misunderstanding most people have about what conservatives stand for

Republican = not conservative
Rush limbaugh = not conservative
Pat Robertson = not conservative
George Bush = not conservative
Shawn Hannitty = sure as hell not conservative

99 percent of those considered to be conservatives are nothing more than dogmatic wankers that have pimped a very few of the ideas conservatives stand for to suit their own ends

Dead$$$Walking 10-06-2006 06:46 PM

i agree, I am not at all surprised that the national review opposes this legislation.