Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Sporting Events (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Baseball situation question - 2nd base nobody out vs 3rd base one out? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=229443)

posnera 10-05-2006 06:12 PM

Baseball situation question - 2nd base nobody out vs 3rd base one out?

This question came up today: Would you rather have a man on second with nobody out or a man on third with one out? I have a definite opinion, but others are demanding stats to back up my position. So here's the poll, and any resources to prove your side would be appreciated.

THAY3R 10-05-2006 06:21 PM

Re: Baseball situation question - 2nd base nobody out vs 3rd base one

It depends.

BWebb 10-05-2006 06:23 PM

Re: Baseball situation question - 2nd base nobody out vs 3rd base one out?

Based on the information provided, I'd say A is the correct answer, because outs are scarce and yada yada. However, I think it depends a lot on other factors (score, inning, who's batting, on deck, etc.), and therefore B might be the better situation to have sometimes.

THAY3R 10-05-2006 06:24 PM

B is very rarely better, not to mention that a sacrifice doesn't work 100% of the time.

posnera 10-05-2006 06:25 PM

It does depend, to some extent on the batter (and the speed of the runner), but in general, do you think it is a good play to sac bunt with nobody out and a runner on second?

TheRover 10-05-2006 06:27 PM

no.

BWebb 10-05-2006 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It does depend, to some extent on the batter (and the speed of the runner), but in general, do you think it is a good play to sac bunt with nobody out and a runner on second?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

kyleb 10-05-2006 06:32 PM

Not enough information - what's the score, inning, what side of the plate does the batter hit from, how successful is the batter at laying down a sac bunt, etc.

THAY3R 10-05-2006 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't what I was referring to when I said it depends.

Unless you are very late in the game and tied(and sometimes down by 1), it is nearly always a horrible play sac bunting.

posnera 10-05-2006 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't what I was referring to when I said it depends.

Unless you are very late in the game and tied(and sometimes down by 1), it is nearly always a horrible play sac bunting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Maybe the best way of framing the question is - In which situation are you more likely to score?

I think you are more likely to score from second with no outs, so even in the bottom of the ninth, down by one, bunting is a generally bad play.