Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Representing Aces UTG (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=22757)

donkeyradish 01-28-2006 09:11 AM

Representing Aces UTG

Another in a series of BBV strategy posts.
This is called "How to represent Pocket Aces"

Here is an example of when to make this expert play (regrettably, I was small blind in this hand and didn't even see the flop with my J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

This hand is known as a 3-gapper, and in early position is normally only a medium strength hand (the straight you hope to make with it is only the second best possible). However by representing pocket aces it suddenly becomes very powerful indeed. This is because of a little known poker truth:

Representing pocket aces gives you 2 extra outs - the other 2 aces!

In this example, you want to represent A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. (This is because the 2 aces that are your "extra outs" may help your hand.)

So, onward.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>

Since we are representing AA this is a great flop. Two pair. Its possible someone has a Q, but not particularly likely. We can certainly rule out them having the other 2 aces, or KK, since there was no cap.

BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls, Button folds, BB folds.

Turn: (6.70 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Its unlikely this card helped anyone. Its commonly called a "blank".

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 folds.

River: (8.70 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Success! We know our 2 pair is good as UTG+1 didn't raise the turn.

<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Kh 9c (flush, queen high).
UTG+1 has Jh Qh (three of a kind, queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 10.70 BB. </font>

emil3000 01-28-2006 11:22 AM

Re: Representing Aces UTG

This was very funny.

Deamon2 01-28-2006 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This was very funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

tom10167 01-28-2006 12:35 PM

hahaha, I like how he waited even beyond showdown to stop slowplaying.

TimM 01-28-2006 06:25 PM

I am glad you started this thread. Now we are ready to see some more advanced ways to represent Aces. These generally occur at higher limits where players are more experienced. I was witness to this amazing play:

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(9 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

<font color="blue">When representing pocket aces, it is good to have one ace, as that makes it less likely one of your opponents will have the hand you are representing.</font>

<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, Hero calls

<font color="blue">Step one: Open limping from the button. Very advanced play. This screams aces.</font>

SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>

<font color="blue">Step two: Limp-reraising. There is no more clear way to say "I have aces [censored]!"</font>

<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>

<font color="blue">Perhaps BB is not yet convinced. However, there are three more streets available.</font>

Hero calls.

Flop: (9.00 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="blue">An excellent flop for our hand. A key point of representing pocket aces is that you can easily switch to representing pocket kings!</font>

<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

<font color="blue">This insolent BB needs more convincing.</font>

Turn: (8.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

<font color="blue">If a turn cap doesn't do it, I don't know what will.</font>

River: (16.50 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>

<font color="blue">OK, the jig is up. Be sure to call your ace high on the end just in case your opponent was also just representing.</font>

Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Ad Kd (three of a kind, kings.)
Button has 6c Ac (a pair of kings.)
BB wins 18.35 BB.
</font>

SharkTank43 01-28-2006 06:30 PM

Thats [censored] hilarious, I am near tears.

keikiwai 01-28-2006 07:28 PM

That's the funniest thing....

Patrick Bateman 01-28-2006 08:24 PM

Raise the river n00b give him a chance to fold!

TimM 01-28-2006 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise the river n00b give him a chance to fold!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this wasn't me playing, but yes, you are right. Hero lost his nerve on the river and it cost him the pot.

TimM 01-30-2006 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When representing pocket aces, it is good to have one ace, as that makes it less likely one of your opponents will have the hand you are representing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if you learn nothing else from this thread, you must heed this.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TimM raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, TimM calls.

<font color="blue">Hero has not been happy about all the pre-flop raising I have been doing. He decides that since the pot is now heads up, he will represent pocket aces and force me to fold a better hand. To do so, he makes the standard limp-reraise. Notice the flexibility of this plan. He can limp with any two cards, and only after seeing the action from the rest of the players will he decide if he wants to represent aces. Unfortunately, Hero has made one fatal miscalculation.</font>

Flop: (7.40 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

<font color="blue">This flop is great for Hero's hand, but bad for his plan! He flopped a very strong hand, but because he represented aces, the ace on the board may kill his action. Hero decides to set a little trap.</font>

Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">TimM bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, TimM calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TimM raises</font>

<font color="blue">Hero thinks: "He must not believe we have aces, because he has AK! Thanks to that turn king I can now extract the maximum."</font>

<font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TimM caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (13.70 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">TimM bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">TimM 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, TimM calls.

Final Pot: 21.70 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has 7h 7c (three of a kind, sevens.)
TimM has Ad As (three of a kind, aces.) (oops!)
TimM wins 21.40 BB.
</font>