Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Legislation (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Only slim majority favor legalized on-line gambling (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=227423)

Busted_Flat 10-03-2006 01:42 PM

Only slim majority favor legalized on-line gambling

From Rasmussen Reports:

Fifty-two percent (52%) of respondents to a recent Rasmussen Reports survey on Internet gambling believe this emerging betting medium should be more strictly regulated than other forms of gambling. Twenty-nine percent (29%) disagree (see crosstabs).

Overall, 40% believe online gambling should be illegal and 41% disagree.

Forty-seven percent (47%) of Republicans say online gambling should be illegal and 33% say it should not. Democrats are evenly divided with 41% on each side of the issue.

Article

Maybe I've been reading too many poker boards, but this does not sound encouraging.

Fishy McDonk 10-03-2006 02:14 PM

Re: Only slim majority favor legalized on-line gambling

Maybe I am interpreting this wrong, but to me, it seems encouraging . Only 3% of the respondents have gambled online, yet 41% disagree that it should be illegal. It shows that many still value our liberties, even though they may not be directly affected by the legislation.

I have a friend who supported the NRA a long time before he ever owned a gun.

trdi 10-03-2006 02:33 PM

I think it's not encouraging... what kind of society is that? Religious cults are owning the whole country and instead of telling them "you can live your way but let other people live the way they do", they are the most important "voice" in USA.
You should somehow try to split religion and government, guys.

MyTurn2Raise 10-03-2006 02:36 PM

it's not encouraging

Think about it...who is going to push for legalized gambling?
Only the MGM/Mirage, Harrah's, etc contributions could get it throught, otherwise, we're up a creek

genesisgkh33 10-03-2006 02:47 PM

It's all sickening. I wear my setlbelt, but it's a stupid law. I don't smoke nor have a gun, but I support their rights. These people who keep saying it doesn't effect them, just wait. Eventually they will get around to banning whatever you like too. Big macs will be banned because they are bad for you within 10 years if we dont stop our government at some point.

dnh83 10-03-2006 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Big macs will be banned because they are bad for you within 10 years if we dont stop our government at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have sources inside Washington that says when Frist runs for Prez, he will push for the Big Mac and Whopper Prohibition Act of 2008. Start double-fisting Big Macs now if you value your freedom.

Castleman 10-03-2006 02:54 PM

Long time lurker here. This issue has gotten me to sign up finally. Very interesting reading the Rasmussen poll. I'm sick of politicians of any persuasion telling me what I can or cannot use due to the fact that some people abuse it. Im sorry that some people drink too much and it kills them. Im sorry that criminals use guns for crime. Im sorry that some people dont know when to quit when it comes to gambling. Im sorry some people eat too much fried food, and it gives them heart disease. Why should the rest of us be told not to use these things or play poker online because some people cant handle it?

This legislation was pushed by Republicans so people on 2+2 are naturally angry at them, but in other cases, Democrats are the ones pushing to restrict our freedoms. The restriction of our freedoms has bipartisan support...just depends on which of our infringed freedoms we are talking about.

Vern 10-03-2006 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Big macs will be banned because they are bad for you within 10 years if we dont stop our government at some point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have sources inside Washington that says when Frist runs for Prez, he will push for the Big Mac and Whopper Prohibition Act of 2008. Start double-fisting Big Macs now if you value your freedom.

[/ QUOTE ]
1) He would not be president before 2009
2) If you start double fisting big macs today, you probably won't have to worry about the Big Mac and Whopper Prohibition Act of 2009

MinRaise 10-03-2006 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This legislation was pushed by Republicans so people on 2+2 are naturally angry at them, but in other cases, Democrats are the ones pushing to restrict our freedoms. The restriction of our freedoms has bipartisan support...just depends on which of our infringed freedoms we are talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I keep hearing this from people. Can you provide even a single example of a Democrat-led initiative to restrict our freedoms in the Bush era. This sounds like a justification from a Republican to keep voting Republican with a clear conscience. All my Repub. friends say the same garbage.

pyedog 10-03-2006 03:27 PM

Goddamn how could someone still support republicans, especially at a time like this on a poker board? Well they're loyal, I'll give them that much, but that's just a synonym for stubborn.