Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Micro Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   AA hand, villain tells me he turned a flush (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=223888)

BungalowBill 09-29-2006 12:20 PM

AA hand, villain tells me he turned a flush

Hi all. I've been reading the forums for 2+ years, but this is my first post. I've been playing for about 4 years and recently made a resolution to actively improve my game. A big part of that is to become involed in the 2+2 forums; I'll do my best not to be a noob. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The villain in this hand is pretty loose-passive. I don't have the PokerOffice stats with me, but I remember him being ~50%VP$IP and virtually no PF raising.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.10 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">UTG+1 ($11)</font>
MP1 ($5.40)
MP2 ($9.90)
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($34.95)</font>
Button ($8.75)
SB ($10.55)
BB ($9.20)
UTG ($9.75)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.10, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.5</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.40.

Flop: ($1.15) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1</font>, UTG+1 calls $1.

Turn: ($3.15) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets $2.5</font>, Hero calls $2.50.

River: ($8.15) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: $8.15

I thought at the time that there's no way he bets out that big when he turns the flush, but losing my stack with big pairs is a leak I'm trying to patch.

Thoughts? Too weak?

Dunkman 09-29-2006 12:26 PM

Re: AA hand, villain tells me he turned a flush

Well AF is a lot more important than his PF numbers. Anyway, I don't mind this at all, as long as you were folding if he pushed the river. I'm not laying down aces just because he donked the turn, he's gonna have to do more than that to convince me that I'm beat. I'm thrilled to check behind on the river here, I don't see much value in betting.

Nick C 09-29-2006 12:28 PM

Well, if he wouldn't bet out that big with a turned flush, what would he lead for $2.50 with?

I think you played it all right, but I wouldn't assume Villain doesn't have a flush. Some passive players are very straightforward instead of trappy.

Edit: And it's also possible he flopped a set and then decided he hated the turn card and panicked.

Dave I 09-29-2006 12:33 PM

I play it the same most of the time. Depends how aggressive he is.

Antinome 09-29-2006 12:38 PM

2.50 isn't a big bet here. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I'd probably value bet river.

Shaddux 09-29-2006 05:18 PM

This looks fine.

kurto 09-29-2006 05:46 PM

Just some thoughts--

"I thought at the time that there's no way he bets out that big when he turns the flush" He bet 4/5 of the pot. Anywhere between 1/2 pot to a full pot is a normal bet for a lot of people.

Your opponent will bet AS MUCH MONEY AS HE THINKS SOMEONE WILL CALL.

As you play against better players... they will bet here if they have the flush, 2pair or better, a complete bluff... A lot of (bad) players will call with nothing and bet any card assuming that you missed the flop.

I don't mind the check behind on the turn. I'd hate to be bluffed off the best hand here...

BungalowBill 09-29-2006 06:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just some thoughts--

"I thought at the time that there's no way he bets out that big when he turns the flush" He bet 4/5 of the pot. Anywhere between 1/2 pot to a full pot is a normal bet for a lot of people.

Your opponent will bet AS MUCH MONEY AS HE THINKS SOMEONE WILL CALL.

As you play against better players... they will bet here if they have the flush, 2pair or better, a complete bluff... A lot of (bad) players will call with nothing and bet any card assuming that you missed the flop.

I don't mind the check behind on the turn. I'd hate to be bluffed off the best hand here...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd hate that too... was happy to see him turn over Ts9s.