Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Live 25-50-100 f/ Aruba (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=223722)

whitelime 09-29-2006 05:57 AM

Live 25-50-100 f/ Aruba

Villain is middle age asian player with shaved head. Earlier he was talking about how to get lots of cash through an airport by turning it into bellagio/commerce $5k chips so I'm pretty sure he's played high stakes before. We have both been playing pretty tight to this point and he's been playing a short stack the whole time.

The only hand I played with him was when I opened AQo f/ late position and he called f/ blinds. Board came J85r. He checked and I asked how much he had ($2.3k). I check behind. Turn T and it goes chk chk again. River T and he bets out close to pot and I fold.

OK, hand in question: He starts the hand with a bit under $4k and I cover. He raises to $400 from early position and it folds around to me in the $100 blind. I have A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Given stack sizes and my tight image, I decide to just call.

Flop comes Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. I chk. He chks.

Turn 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I bet $600. He calls after looking at his cards again.

River 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Pot is around $2k at this point and he has $2.7k left.

I ?

If you decide to check, he bets $500 after thinking for maybe 10 seconds.

What's your play? What range do you put him on and when do you think he bluffs/what do you think he pays off with?

Apathy 09-29-2006 06:53 AM

Re: Live 25-50-100 f/ Aruba

If I check, Im check shoving.

DcifrThs 09-29-2006 07:00 AM

has he been cb'ing when raising at all? can he have a Q here, trying to get value after you so passively played this hand?

id think most of the time that he's following through on that kind of board w/ a flush draw on the flop given your previous hand ... and most other non-board-hitting hands he has here. id presume he thinks you'll release easy atm.

now that he checks behind, he may be slowplaying a Q or a set tryingt o get value from you w/ his short stack. his bet on the river does not look like a bluff b/c he'd likely have 'bluffed' at the pot on the flop.

id shove here and hope he has a Q....i highly doubt he has a flush and i dont think many 6s are in his range here.

im way happier he checked his cards on the turn b/c that makes me think he has like KsQ or QJs or something like that.

i like the river check btw b/c it induces both bluffs from missed As and value bets from a Q.

Barron

fukkeneh 09-29-2006 08:04 AM

He has a flush or nothing, check call.

Good players will sometimes fake the look back to see if I have a spade if they have a made hand. My reasoning for the flush.

MDMA 09-29-2006 08:30 AM

I just push it in.

fslexcduck 09-29-2006 08:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I check, Im check shoving.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jason Strasser (strassa2) 09-29-2006 12:03 PM

seems pretty standard river play here, right? if this is Tony Van, who I think it might be, he will probably check behind too often and call too much so I'd lead out for something on the river... but if i checked how could i not CR all in?

Jason Strasser (strassa2) 09-29-2006 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Good players will sometimes fake the look back to see if I have a spade if they have a made hand. My reasoning for the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the kind of thinking i expect from a very weak opponent

cwl 09-29-2006 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems pretty standard river play here, right? if this is Tony Van, who I think it might be, he will probably check behind too often and call too much so I'd lead out for something on the river... but if i checked how could i not CR all in?

[/ QUOTE ]

i didnt think tony van had a shaved head so i would guess its someone else.

on the turn i think trying for another checkraise is a reasonable option. a lot of people will bet with just about all the hands you are concerned about giving a free card to as well as some of their nothings and when you raise they have a lot of room to make a mistake.

i dont know what the best river play is and i dont really know how to interpret his river bet. his stack is short enough that it seems a little odd for him to play a Q in a cautious/pot control way. if you just bet the river how likely do you think it is that you get called by something like 88?

fukkeneh 09-29-2006 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the kind of thinking i expect from a very weak opponent

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you think your all that cause you won a tournament. But smart players know that there are differnet ways to put money in the pot when you have the best hand. Or how to protect their money when they dont.

I dont see how a strong opponent like he is describing is going to pay him off here on that kind of board.

Especially when the button is playing the hand so meekly.

Off topic, Strassa what was poker like before you came along and saved us all ?