Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Correct Strategy vs Aggressive PF raisers/bettors (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=220877)

Quadz 09-25-2006 09:05 PM

Correct Strategy vs Aggressive PF raisers/bettors

I have encountered a few of these types of players, they will raise nearly every pot max preflop, then they will make a postflop bet after everyone hsa missed, and take the pot, and amass a lot of chips since everyone usually folds. What is the correct play vs these guys? Should I wait till I have a good 6-hander and call, or call with marginals hoping to hit? What about re-raising preflop? These guys really baffle me.

joewatch 09-25-2006 11:39 PM

Re: Correct Strategy vs Aggressive PF raisers/bettors

There are many strategies to employ against these kinds of players. The simplest is to play a short stack to the right of the LAG, wait for AA, and check-raise all-in preflop.

gergery 09-25-2006 11:53 PM

I don't know for sure, but I usually try to play lots of pots vs. them with position, sometimes float flops and be willing to gambool it up.

tempogain 09-26-2006 12:49 AM

clap your hands, put on your lucky cap and get ready to gamble. i agree with bob ciaffone's advice, you don't want to be on his left, you'll get caught beween him and good hands too much. sit across from the really scary guys but for the random maniacs like you describe, be on his right. now you can see what every one else does before you make your move, and with luck be the guy trapping others between the maniac and the nuts.

not much point in reraising preflop, though you can sometimes put a play on him with AA (obviously) or satisfyingly when it works, KK, JT98 etc. attack off the flop, obviously you have to be ready to take more mediocre hands up against these guys, while not getting hammered by the other players. calling is an option but raising and checkraising should be used frequently, make him fear you! and have a few buy-ins ready [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

i relish going against these guys, however i see a lot of good players simply sitting back and waiting for good hands. it seems to work for them!

Chump Change 09-26-2006 08:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have encountered a few of these types of players, they will raise nearly every pot max preflop, then they will make a postflop bet after everyone hsa missed, and take the pot, and amass a lot of chips since everyone usually folds. What is the correct play vs these guys? Should I wait till I have a good 6-hander and call, or call with marginals hoping to hit? What about re-raising preflop? These guys really baffle me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pay close attention to the specific player, because in my experience there are too distinct types like this, that play very differnt though appear similar preflop.

The first is the agressive lagfish who will go the felt with all manner of nonsense. These players should be your main money making targets and any of the strategies said thus far will work.

The second is similar in that he has an incredibly high PFR %, but doesn't constantly c-bet. He knows when to bluff and when to let things and is going to showdown more often than not with very strong holdings, though players fail to notice this because of the constant preflop and flop action.

RickyG 09-30-2006 05:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are many strategies to employ against these kinds of players. The simplest is to play a short stack to the right of the LAG, wait for AA, and check-raise all-in preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap. You just described the first 40 pages of Rolf's book in two sentences.