Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   The Lounge: Discussion+Review (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   Gin in the freezer? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=214765)

DagnyTaggert 09-18-2006 03:50 AM

Gin in the freezer?

I have a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and want to make some martinis a little later. Can I put it, and keep it, in the freezer without it turning solid or ruining the taste?

Borgland 09-18-2006 05:34 AM

Re: Gin in the freezer?

I put rum in the freezer so I dont have to use ice and have no problems.

tshort 09-18-2006 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a bottle of Bombay Sapphire and want to make some martinis a little later. Can I put it, and keep it, in the freezer without it turning solid or ruining the taste?

[/ QUOTE ]

So long as your freezer isn't colder than -30 degrees celsius, you will fine.

MrWookie 09-18-2006 10:11 AM

It won't freeze, and it won't totally ruin the taste. Some people argue, however, that for cocktails, some water from melting the ice in the shaker is a necessary ingredient. When you keep the gin in the freezer, you get colder drinks, yes, but you also get a little less water in them, which can be detrimental. Try out making a Martini both ways and see what you think.

troymclur 09-18-2006 12:39 PM

Freezing alcohol makes it easier to drink but takes the 'taste' out of it (which is why you'll get killed for telling people you freeze scotch). With Gin and vodka, the point of the liquor is to simply taste like nothing so it's ok to freeze it. Also, shaking your martini makes for a weaker drink. Man up and stir that [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Larger point is, martini's are ok, but please don't use Bombay for mixed drinks, you're just wasting good liquor and your own money.

oneeye13 09-19-2006 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Freezing alcohol makes it easier to drink but takes the 'taste' out of it (which is why you'll get killed for telling people you freeze scotch). With Gin and vodka, the point of the liquor is to simply taste like nothing so it's ok to freeze it. Also, shaking your martini makes for a weaker drink. Man up and stir that [censored] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Larger point is, martini's are ok, but please don't use Bombay for mixed drinks, you're just wasting good liquor and your own money.

[/ QUOTE ]

this man is not a gin drinker

Jeff_B 09-19-2006 01:19 AM

side bar: I read somewhere that if you put some liquor in the snow in like alaska or some [censored] then drank it you would die as it would freeze your insides.. alcohol wont freeze so it is almost always drinkable... not sure if its true but interesting

Big Poppa Smurf 09-19-2006 03:38 AM

how do people old enough to get their hands on liquor not know this?

FortunaMaximus 09-19-2006 05:19 AM

The ones that don't presumably don't live long enough maybe?

MrWookie 09-19-2006 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
side bar: I read somewhere that if you put some liquor in the snow in like alaska or some [censored] then drank it you would die as it would freeze your insides.. alcohol wont freeze so it is almost always drinkable... not sure if its true but interesting

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a myth. Ethanol will freeze (although at -114 Celcius), and an EtOH-Water mixture will also freeze at some point, although I'm not sure what temp. The most important point is that your body is surprisingly good at warming things up. You can actually drink a small amount liquid nitrogen (-77 C), so long as you are sure you can burp. You'll make some of the world's loudest, longest belches if you do, and if you don't, there's a risk of your stomach exploding. The point is, though, that unless you're absolutely guzzling cold liquor, there's no risk because you're warm blooded.