Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Older posters - are you content with how your life turned out so far? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=209516)

AsH_KeTcHuM 09-11-2006 01:55 PM

Older posters - are you content with how your life turned out so far?

When I was little I always thought I would be very happy when I grew up. A large part of this was assuming I would be rich or famous, or just successful in something I was passionate about.

Now that I'm about to graduate college the most likely scenario I'll be in is getting some generic business job making 40k a year to start with.

Thats not so bad in itself, but it makes me depressed to think I will be reduced to being some souless businessman for a large part of my life and that my sleeping patterns, friends, family, hobbies, etc. will all be influenced by this in some form.

I'm working on some small projects with dancing and music right now that in my wildest dreams would take off and I'd be able to make money off of that. But realistically I can only see the horrible 9-5 thing in my future.

Its very disenchanting and makes life seem kinda of miserable to me right now.

How has life turned out so far for you older 2+2ers? regarding your choice of career and how it influences your life especially.

Patrick del Poker Grande 09-11-2006 01:58 PM

Re: Older posters - are you content with how your life turned out so f

Can I get a Q?
Can I get an L?
Can I get a C?

What's that spell?

Q! L! C!

esad 09-11-2006 02:04 PM

You'll only get "stuck" and disappointed in life if you let yourself.

Harland Sanders aka Colonel Sanders was 65 years old and broke and had just received his first Social Security check when he decided to go on the road and sell his chicken recipie.

I guess he could have just retired and died a few year later instead.

Tell us why someone just graduating college in their 20s thinks that life is about to end? What a depressing life-view you must have.

JuntMonkey 09-11-2006 02:05 PM

Re: Older posters - are you content with how your life turned out so far?

I'm with the OP on this, and I was just thinking about it 5 minutes ago.

Klompy 09-11-2006 02:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm with the OP on this, and I was just thinking about it all the time .

[/ QUOTE ]

NT! 09-11-2006 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can I get a Q?
Can I get an L?
Can I get a C?

What's that spell?

Q! L! C!

[/ QUOTE ]

Man this never gets old, we should totally hit that place up again. Their mods really pwned us good last time though.

NT

JuntMonkey 09-11-2006 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm with the OP on this, and I was just thinking about it all the time .

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a relatively new phenomenon? Something to do with the media and what we watched and heard growing up?

Paluka 09-11-2006 02:17 PM

Taking a job you don't like for 40k a year doesn't make a lot of sense. Do you realize how insanely awful you can be at poker and still make 40k a year? Poker may not be a long term solution, but it certainly can buy you time until you find an opportunity to do something you enjoy.

AsH_KeTcHuM 09-11-2006 02:17 PM

After browsing that forum (I'll be going back) i saw a line that said
"Not to generalize, but I've always felt that a QLC is caused when grads realize that they aren't 'special'. I mean this in the sense that a university/college degree does not guarantee a good job, and they find themselves competing (and losing) for jobs with high school dropouts (or grads) from high school."

I feel like this is kinda accurate to me.

JuntMonkey 09-11-2006 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Taking a job you don't like for 40k a year doesn't make a lot of sense. Do you realize how insanely awful you can be at poker and still make 40k a year? Poker may not be a long term solution, but it certainly can buy you time until you find an opportunity to do something you enjoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

What games and limits would you play in order to make an easy $40K?