Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   3betting turn OOP with second pair+FD (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=201971)

ofishstix 09-01-2006 06:27 PM

3betting turn OOP with second pair+FD

This was in the last hour of a 5 hour session from midnight to 5am...turn i feel my queens are often good and hence the 3bet...i dunnnnno

Paradise Poker 20/40 Hold'em (4 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero C/C
Final Pot: 10 BB

Scary_Tiger 09-01-2006 06:34 PM

Re: 3betting turn OOP with second pair+FD

Just call down, and raise pf.

admiralfluff 09-01-2006 06:35 PM

wow. I would need strong reads for most of the decisions you made in this hand. Got any?

mute 09-01-2006 06:37 PM

Reads? Whether you had any or not this looks like a huge spew to me. Sure an ace isn't that likely given his preflop check, but often when you're ahead you are just folding out a bluff.

ILOVEPOKER929 09-01-2006 06:41 PM

Preflop is situationally fine.

I would usually check/raise this flop or check/call the flop with the intention of check/raising the turn. I think this is a bad flop bet in a vacuum, but you certainly cant always check top pair against players who are paying attention.

Turn: I think this is some serious I hate money spewage going on here. Given the way preflop and flop played out. I would actually check/call the turn here against an unkown. This pot is still small, and by check/calling you will induce all kinds of 2nd best hands to bet, and you avoid getting raised by a better hand. Believe it or not, you will actually induce hands to bet that were intending to fold to a turn bet since they know the "call preflop donk every flop, check/fold the turn if called" play. When you get one of these hands to stay in the pot you make lots of money in the long run. I think theres more value in getting a 2nd best hand to bet then charging a lesser hand/draw to beat you in this small pot.

So thats how I wouldve played the hand against an unknown.

ofishstix 09-01-2006 06:42 PM

On 'dise theres not HUD so I don't have numbers. I had been playing with this guy for over an hour so I sorta had a feel for his game. Also, what if he is semibluffing with a hand like KT or some random crap. Being that any card is scary on the river, I feel like if I can take it down with the 3bet that's a pretty good outcome.

Also, once I get to the river the way I did this is a standard c/c right?

Also, in response to ILOVEPOKER, I've never done this before and I'd usually play it differently. Over the 9 hours of play yesterday I was trying lots of new things.

siegfriedandroy 09-01-2006 07:55 PM

what was your thought process upon deciding to open-complete? w/o a read on this guy as a maniac, i think putting 5 bets in on the big streets is inexcusable.

The Bryce 09-01-2006 08:55 PM

Hint: when he checks his option pre-flop and then raises that turn, he probably doesn't have a lone ace. I would like this 3 bet better if you had something like bottom pair and a flush draw. Just call down.

TheDarkHorse 09-01-2006 11:46 PM

If you open complete, then I prefer a flop check raise, then bet/calling the turn

ofishstix 09-02-2006 01:19 AM

I obv figured he didnt have any ace and on a drawy flop like this one he would raise pretty much any piece. When he bet, therefore, I figured he was FOS and was jsut bluffing. His cap though scared the [censored] out of me and I was totally lost.

I guess that since I didn't know what to do if he just called the 3bet that this wasn't such a great move. I feel like it seems pretty obvious he doesnt have a huge hand, but still I should let him just bluff without putting in the 2 extra big bets.

Usually I bet/call the flop and check/call the river. Would that have been the best way to do this [censored]?