Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Small Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Theory: Pot sized flop bets with overpairs. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=192651)

Sat0ri 08-21-2006 03:54 PM

Theory: Pot sized flop bets with overpairs.

It has come to my attention that most people here like to play their high overpairs by potting the flop, this especialy goes for high overpairs when you were the preflop betting leader as well.

Example: you make a big reraise preflop with AA, get two callers, ragged flop, almost all replyes I have read here say: pot the flop, go in on the turn. I am left wondering: is this really the best line? It might be if your opponents aren't using their brains like in 0.10/0.25. What exactly are you accomplishing by betting pot instead of say 2/3 pot? Only a set or other high overpair can realisticaly call both 2/3 pot bets and pot sized bets here. Aren't pot sized bets in such a situation sure reciepe for getting overcommitred in a hand where it is obvious what you have and getting stacked because of it?

poincaraux 08-21-2006 03:58 PM

Re: Theory: Pot sized flop bets with overpairs.

Without commenting on the rest of your post,

[ QUOTE ]
Only a set or other high overpair can realisticaly call both 2/3 pot bets and pot sized bets here.

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't match my experience on PartyPoker or FullTilt at $50NL and below.

Sat0ri 08-21-2006 04:01 PM

I generaly play party 200$ or 400$ [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Perhaps I posed this question to the wrong forum.

Brent. 08-21-2006 04:02 PM

Try here then: holla.

poincaraux 08-21-2006 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps I posed this question to the wrong forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

$200NL is usually the dividing line, and I think $400NL goes in MSNL most of the time. Is there really that much of a difference between the different levels with respect to this issue? (always looking to file info away for when I move up)

Sat0ri 08-21-2006 04:10 PM

Ok, crossposted to MSNL. Guess things are pretty different if you are against a thinking opponent, automaticaly posted it since it is a rather elemental question.

poincaraux 08-21-2006 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, crossposted to MSNL. Guess things are pretty different if you are against a thinking opponent, automaticaly posted it since it is a rather elemental question.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, they certainly think down here in SSNL. They just think about things a little differently ..

Tarheel 08-21-2006 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

SN?

Dan Bitel 08-21-2006 04:28 PM

Sat0ri,

in a reraised pot, cbetting for full pot is terrible IMO. betting 1/2 pot to 2/3 pot seems optimal:

1) if you hit/have AA, you can string along weaker hands
2) the pot is already big enough so that its very easy to get AI by the river
3) if you miss, it makes cbetting cheaper

So I agree with you. However, this is only in reraised pots. In normal raised pots, you gotta pot it.

P.S. I play the $200NL game at PP, sn pimpitupbro. PM me your sn if you feel like it

Jamougha 08-21-2006 04:31 PM

db,

All of the points you make in favour of betting 2/3 in rr'ed pots also go for multiway pots to a greater or lesser degree. I quite often bet 2/3-3/4 in a 3-4 way pot while using the bet pot button pretty mercilessly HU.