Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Few PF ace high questions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=190006)

mntbikr15 08-18-2006 02:03 AM

Few PF ace high questions

CO open raising standards for both suited and unsuited aces?
-Ive been going with all suited and A6o+

SB three bet standards for the same when facing an open raise from decent button?
-All suited and A5o+

Thoughts?

sweetjazz 08-18-2006 02:12 AM

Re: Few PF ace high questions

I would generally suggest:

CO: A4s+, A7o+
SB: A6s+, A9o+

But of course these are situational and various factors might make me play more hands. But this recommendation is if you are against a good opponent who plays pretty well after the flop.

And regardless of the specific holdings you play, you should in general play tighter in the SB facing a button raise than in the CO because of the positional disadvantage you will have later in the hand.

wackjob 08-18-2006 02:23 AM

you shouldn't try to put a range on what you will play here. its all gotta be opponent dependant. there are players that I will fold A9s in the SB against their button raise.

ShiftyFifty 08-18-2006 08:43 AM

Blind structure is really important here. With a standard 1:2 blind structure I raise any ace in the CO. The SB is all player dependent. I guess I should really lock down a default range.

antifish225 08-18-2006 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
you shouldn't try to put a range on what you will play here. its all gotta be opponent dependant. there are players that I will fold A9s in the SB against their button raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true - I would also say allot depends on your image at the table, how much you have been raising, what type of hands you have shown down - personally I think any suited A from the CO is fine, and I will usually raise down to A5o - however if the button is strong I tighten my range (as facing a reraise with a5o sucks) - AF

Surf 08-18-2006 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would generally suggest:

CO: A4s+, A7o+
SB: A6s+, A9o+

But of course these are situational and various factors might make me play more hands. But this recommendation is if you are against a good opponent who plays pretty well after the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a good starting range. I agree with wackjob that it has to be very player dependent, there are players I would muck A9s to and players that i'd 3bet A4s against.

[ QUOTE ]

And regardless of the specific holdings you play, you should in general play tighter in the SB facing a button raise than in the CO because of the positional disadvantage you will have later in the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an interesting idea, I seem to remember a discussion awhile back with stox and a few others about how this is almost entirely negated by the fact that there are two players left to act behind us who could have legitimate hands instead of just one. Thoughts?

Surf

The Bryce 08-18-2006 04:42 PM

Huh? Are we trying to compare open-raising in the CO to 3 betting a steal out of the SB?

Surf 08-18-2006 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Huh? Are we trying to compare open-raising in the CO to 3 betting a steal out of the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is worded oddly, but i'm pretty sure sj was saying that we should play tighter in the sb vs a co raise than if we were in the button vs a co raise.

Surf

The Bryce 08-18-2006 04:52 PM

Oh. I'm slightly looser BTN vs CO than SB vs BTN.