Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   When to let go? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=188370)

hedgetop 08-16-2006 11:58 AM

When to let go?

Here is a hand from memory it is vs a loose but slightly passive player who has played against me for a while on this table lets put them at 40/13/1.2 action is as follows

10/20 6-max Party Poker
Hero is dealt KK UTG

Preflop:
Hero raises, MP raises, CO folds, Button folds, SB folds, BB raises, Hero calls, MP calls

Flop:
973 rainbow
BB bets, Hero raises, MP calls, BB raises, Hero raises, MP folds, BB calls

Turn
Q offsuit
BB bets, Hero raises, BB raises, Hero Calls

River:
A offsuit
BB bets, Hero ...

I am pretty sure we are done once the river comes so I am pretty sure a fold is in order despite the pot size.

Once I was 3-bet on the turn I think his range is limited to a set, AA, KK and very minute possibility of AQ which I think we can basically write-off I know some would be opposed but is a fold on the turn conceivable?

Nate tha\\\' Great 08-16-2006 12:07 PM

Re: When to let go?

I would probably not have raised the turn.

Trix 08-16-2006 12:12 PM

BBs flop 3bet after coldcapping preflop is pretty strong, especially when itīs 3-way. I dont think capping helps you here as MP will call any 5 out+ draw anyway and correctly so.

The turn Q just improved one of his likely hands that you beat, so raising here and calling down a 3bet is a total spew.
If you had just called the flop 3bet and MP was still in, then you may want to raise the turn and fold to a 3bet from BB, depending what comes off and how aggressive you think he is.
Another option is to just call down, especially when the Q lands as he might have JJ/TT enough.

PokerBob 08-16-2006 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dangerfish 08-16-2006 12:27 PM

just call down when the Q hits . The A on the river isnt really as much of a scare card as it normally would be because he probably doesn not have AK, AQ .. in fact his 3 bet onthe flop says QQ,KK,AA .. you have KK so My guess is your looking at AA or a set.

nothing wrong with playing passive at times. in fact I think its coming full circle with all the lag maniacs around.

Evigt_Drabbad 08-16-2006 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Moneyline 08-16-2006 01:40 PM

I wouldn't have capped the flop or raised the turn. By this point you can narrow BBs range down to AA-JJ with the bigger pairs being more likely than the smaller ones in that range, so I think there is too high a likelyhood that you are up agianast AA for raising to be correct. On the river I think the pot is too big to fold, and as was pointed out by others, the A isn't that big of a scare card because your opponent most likely has some sort of high pocket pair.

hedgetop 08-16-2006 02:07 PM

Wowa, I guess I over-played my hand, I will definetly play this one better next time around. Thanks for all the insight guys.

Alobar 08-16-2006 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think capping helps you here as MP will call any 5 out+ draw anyway and correctly so.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the times he just has a 2 or 3 outter (which will be often), why let him call 1 more getting like 20-1 when you can give him incorrect odds if you cap. Given the board and the action you are still ahead of the BB way more often than not.

I agree the way it was played that I wouldnt raise the turn

danzasmack 08-16-2006 02:45 PM

I think the flop is fine. My standard line for capped pf betting with QQ/KK, then capped flop, is to just call if bet into, unless villain is a nutjob.