Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Reraising frequency preflop (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=187199)

SEABEAST 08-15-2006 04:31 AM

Reraising frequency preflop

Hey guys, I am looking for some advice on how often I should be reraising preflop. I run at 25/17 atm, and I recently started 8 tabling the $400 Party game.

My default at $200 vs unknowns was basically to only reraise jacks and up, and AK, because it was easy enough just to play stack a donk and play everything else for set value/equivalent.

However obviously as one moves up the limits it becomes more important to be able to play optimally vs other solid players, and mixing it up becomes more important.

I'm especially interested in hands like medium pairs, vs a solid player is it better to just play TT-77 for set value, or is reraising these good? It seems as though having a wider range of threebetting hands is good for metagame, any advice on optimal frequency or situations to be looking to reraise with less than premiums appreciated, thanks.

mason55 08-15-2006 06:07 AM

Re: Reraising frequency preflop

theres a bunch of posts on this. look for open your mind and your game by ajfenix to start.

also post specific situations. also this is very opponent dependent. also this is dependent on your image. and position. and a million things.

Hattifnatt 08-15-2006 07:44 AM

Of course Mason are correct, but I think the topic is intresting.

I am playing 1/2 at the moment learning to multitabling and building a roll, very rarely reraising with something else than JJ+ or AK.

Do you think you lose much EV (beeing to predictable) playing this way at 2/4, what about 3/6, 5/10?

Also, do you (Mason) have a link or two to the posts/articles by AJFenix you talked about? Tried to search without result. Would be appreciated.

Dan BRIGHT 08-15-2006 08:03 AM

The harder you can play your hands depends on both the amount of villains entering from the beginning of the hand and the general strength by which your opponent plays his hands..... this is to say that no hand other than AA has aboslute value, and that all other hands have merely relative value.

For example, if I have a godlike read on my opponent that he only raises AA preflop, and I have KK and he happened to open push preflop, I wouldnt have odds to hit a set and I would fold.

Another exaple would be that if my opponent was a 60/50 maniac and open raised in the co, I would be perfectly correct to 3bet 99 on the button because I am destroying his range. If the flop was say 5 hi, I would probably be willing to get it ai vs him on it too.... sometime I wouldnt consider doing against a nitty opponent.

One more example: If the first player acting in the hand is on the button, its as if you are in a 3handed game. If the first player acting in the hand was in mp2, its like a 6max game. In general, you can "play harder" in 3 handed games than 6 handed ones. Playing harder is not limited to postflop, but also preflop.

mason55 08-15-2006 08:21 AM

nice post dan.

also, don't reraise just to reraise. reraise to take control, put pressure on your opponent, and /or because your hand is a favorite over his range. the lighter he opens, the more you should reraise, as a way to combat his tendencies.

mason55 08-15-2006 08:27 AM

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post5615820

that post really changed the landscape of midstakes nl on the internet. its crazy to see how much has changed in the 3 and a half months since he made it.

Hattifnatt 08-15-2006 08:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

that post really changed the landscape of midstakes nl on the internet. its crazy to see how much has changed in the 3 and a half months since he made it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ty, have missed that one, will have a close look for sure.

Dan BRIGHT 08-15-2006 08:36 AM

Ya furthermore, if you 3bet "light" so to speak against opponents who will try to adjust against it, sometimes you can cause them to adjust poorly. Ie suppose that 3betting a co raise from your button with 9ts only had a +ev of say 1 ptb bet (12 dollars at 3-6) each time you do it, however by doing so you cause your opponent to play worse against you... like they might consider you to be taking shots against them, and play back at the wrong time cause sometimes you will have a top hand like kk/aa. So even if 3betting 9ts there is breakevn, it increases the ev of your strong hands. This is a bit of "shania" and there are posts on it in a lot of places if you searhc for them. The original one is in the archives I believe.

FGators 08-15-2006 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course Mason are correct, but I think the topic is intresting.

I am playing 1/2 at the moment learning to multitabling and building a roll, very rarely reraising with something else than JJ+ or AK.

Do you think you lose much EV (beeing to predictable) playing this way at 2/4, what about 3/6, 5/10?

Also, do you (Mason) have a link or two to the posts/articles by AJFenix you talked about? Tried to search without result. Would be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even at $1/2 you have to defend your blinds against relentless CO/Button raisers who will raise with any 2. Play back with pairs/connectors, sometimes air if you have the right read on the guy.

I think its essential.

NL 200 players are loose but not too many are going to call a $22 re-raise with less than a decent holding (i.e. they'll fold A7o,K10o, etc)

ArturiusX 08-15-2006 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This changed NL? Holy crap, I was playing crazy limit LAG style years ago [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]