Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Omaha High (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   flop HUGE in worst position ever (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=181441)

yvesaint 08-08-2006 02:56 AM

flop HUGE in worst position ever

Party Poker
Pot Limit Omaha Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
10 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $194
UTG+1: $121.19
UTG+2: $476.86
MP1: $123.64
MP2: $200
MP3: $163.35
CO: $202.83
Button: $114.01
Hero: $212.20
BB: $44.25

Pre-flop: (10 players) Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 (poster) checks, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB (poster) checks.

Flop: 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($16, 8 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero

table is loose-passive in general

SprattFactor 08-08-2006 03:59 AM

Re: flop HUGE in worst position ever

Lead out and hope for a raise, or perhaps check-raise. Either way this isn't much of a tough spot, the hand begins on the turn, imo, when either:

- a blank hits and you're committed no matter what, or

- a scare card hits, like a 4, 6, 8 or 9, or a disaster card hits like the 6h - and you have to re-evaluate where you're at.

In the mean-time, loose-passive would have me tend towards leading rather than check-raising, plus it guarantees pot-size increase - and you definitely wanna play a big pot.

You could get paid off huge by a smaller full if the board pairs and you keep leading.

Turn card is needed for further discussion though. =)

yvesaint 08-08-2006 04:06 AM

alright, say i lead for $14

1 caller

turn ($42): 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

NOW WHAT. this is what the actual turn was. what would your play be on this turn, or on a 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] turn?

Troll_Inc 08-08-2006 07:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lead out and hope for a raise, or perhaps check-raise. Either way this isn't much of a tough spot, the hand begins on the turn, imo, when either:

- a blank hits and you're committed no matter what, or

- a scare card hits, like a 4, 6, 8 or 9, or a disaster card hits like the 6h - and you have to re-evaluate where you're at.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like check-raise on the flop more because:
1. Someone has to bet with so many people seeing the flop?
2. It's more likely to narrow the field. Wouldn't a flop pot bet to so many people get two or more callers? Turn could get ugly - even if one of those bad cards doesn't hit, then likely there will also be someone with a flush draw.

Also betting out into so many people screams, "I have the straight."(which of course mitigated by your set) If you check and someone late bets, then a checkraise could represent more hands on your part because they could be attempting a steal.

youdidwhat 08-08-2006 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
turn ($42): 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to check and pray the river improves OP. I usually bet half the pot on the river. You can't go for a CR.

[ QUOTE ]
on a 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Check. If OP checks along, and a blank falls on the river you can bet a third of the pot as a blocking-style bet or check again. You are then down to player reads. If OP is bluffy, you will have to think about calling a pot sized bet, but it may be a crying call.

If OP bets the turn, call if you think you have implied odds - will he pay you off if board pairs? Also depends on size of bet. If it's a tight player, I'd want to fold.

On the river:
You have checked the turn and the third heart falls on the river: again, you could try a bluff/blocker style bet - say up to one third of the pot. If you get raised you fold but this alleviates having to make a check/call decision. If you check, and OP bets you are losing to a multitude of hands. A fold is probably best. Anyone disagree?

wheatrich 08-08-2006 06:00 PM

I would check turn and pretend it's a scare card for my straight.

The 6h doesn't scare me as much as the 4h would. I probably even lead again on that 6h turn.

I don't see a c/r on the flop getting called here because you hold the good cards I prefer a lead.

J. Henry Christ 08-08-2006 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2. It's more likely to narrow the field. Wouldn't a flop pot bet to so many people get two or more callers? Turn could get ugly -

[/ QUOTE ]

????

When I'm holding the stone nuts and have a redraw to an even bigger hand, I tend to like huge pots with lots of callers. Maybe I am weird.