Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Bowflex question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=171860)

MaxxDaddy 07-27-2006 12:33 AM

Bowflex question

So I use a Bowflex to work out at home and if you're familiar with the device it has rods that supposedly are equivalent to a certain number of pounds of resistance. However, I get the feeling this is not the case when I'm doing 3 sets of 20 reps of curls at 35 pounds in each hand. Is there some sort of conversion I'm missing? Does it depend on the specific exercise you're doing? So you're aware, I'm 5'6" and 145 lbs.

Klompy 07-27-2006 12:36 AM

Re: Bowflex question

[ QUOTE ]
3 sets of 20 reps

[/ QUOTE ]
why would you do this?

As for if the wieght is different, I dont really know, but it shouldn't matter as long as you adjust the weight so that your reps are at the right number.

Tron 07-27-2006 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it shouldn't matter as long as you adjust the weight so that your reps are at the right number.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and 20 reps is almost never the right number.

MaxxDaddy 07-27-2006 12:43 AM

Glad I'm learning something. Thanks for the advice guys.

Tron 07-27-2006 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Glad I'm learning something. Thanks for the advice guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you share your goals (get strong, get huge, and/or get lean, etc.), there are several OOTers that could probably help you draw up a program so that you can optimally reach them.

theben 07-27-2006 12:49 AM

although i've never used a bowflex, i can tell you that typically machine excersizes will never actually yield comparable difficulty levels of excersize when compared to free-weights.

i would expect your excersizes to be a lot easier than free weight curls at the same resistence

MaxxDaddy 07-27-2006 12:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
although i've never used a bowflex, i can tell you that typically machine excersizes will never actually yield comparable difficulty levels of excersize when compared to free-weights.

i would expect your excersizes to be a lot easier than free weight curls at the same resistence

[/ QUOTE ]

I figured this was the case in general, as having really only done weightlifting exercises on machines in recent years, I was surprised at how much I was lifting compared to my track days when we'd use free weights. FWIW, the rods are 5,10,30, and 50 pounds and when switching from a 30+10+5 to 50, there is a huge difference.

Tron and weight gurus: I'm not looking to get overly huge, more like definition in the popular target ares (chest, abs, biceps). Also, I'm trying to get back into running and improving my stamina (I was a sprinter in my aforementioned track days) and I don't have much in the way of being able to do squats, so I'll have to work around that. Any help is very appreciated.

wonderwes 07-27-2006 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have heard both sides of this argument. The pro side says that using a bowflex using resistence lifting is actually better to develop your muscles over time. Reason? Lets take an example of a basic free weight arm curl. You stand up straight, stick your palm outward holding the weight, curl up, bring it back down, repeat, easy of course. Now one important thing about it to keep a constant range of motion when you go up, but even more importantly when you bring the weight down. You want your motion to be constant, so when you bring down the weight you don't let gravity naturally pull it down, rather you make your muscle lower the weight at about the same speed. Now when you do any typical weight lift motion on a bowflex, since you are pulling on a resistence cable, it makes it much easier to keep your motion steady, and you don't have to deal with the natural pull gravity has when you bring the weight downward. This is why you get the quality excercise of your muscle.

Now my knowledge on physical fitness is basically a 1.7 out of 10, so I am making this statement on a couple friends commenting on this topic. I would actually like to own a bowflex system down the line.

edfurlong 07-27-2006 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I have heard both sides of this argument. The pro side says that using a bowflex using resistence lifting is actually better to develop your muscles over time. Reason? Lets take an example of a basic free weight arm curl. You stand up straight, stick your palm outward holding the weight, curl up, bring it back down, repeat, easy of course. Now one important thing about it to keep a constant range of motion when you go up, but even more importantly when you bring the weight down. You want your motion to be constant, so when you bring down the weight you don't let gravity naturally pull it down, rather you make your muscle lower the weight at about the same speed. Now when you do any typical weight lift motion on a bowflex, since you are pulling on a resistence cable, it makes it much easier to keep your motion steady, and you don't have to deal with the natural pull gravity has when you bring the weight downward. This is why you get the quality excercise of your muscle.

Now my knowledge on physical fitness is basically a 1.7 out of 10, so I am making this statement on a couple friends commenting on this topic. I would actually like to own a bowflex system down the line.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should sell these!

EricW 07-27-2006 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL ya, what you just said is pretty much all crap.

The thing is, a Bowflex will get someone bigger and stronger because all it really takes is progressive resistance.