Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Business, Finance, and Investing (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Importing/Exporting (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=163549)

FourNickel 07-17-2006 01:48 AM

Importing/Exporting

Given the US trade deficit I want to make some money importing. Where do I start? Any ideas?

Thremp 07-17-2006 02:13 AM

Re: Importing/Exporting

Start with writing your senator to get rid of quotas and tariffs that make crap more expensive. But I'd start with moving to key west and boating over to Cuba to buy cigars.

los_toros 07-17-2006 12:43 PM

Import human cargo?

Bascule 07-17-2006 07:34 PM

Change your name to Art Vandelay

xwillience 07-18-2006 03:20 AM

first you have to buy something, then you have to get it through customs/govt regulations, then you have to sell it.

hope this helps.

Keystone 07-18-2006 05:48 AM

This is in no way gonna help you start, but every time someone mentions importing/exporting I think of Art Vandelay from Seinfeld.

Kjell201 07-18-2006 06:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is in no way gonna help you start, but every time someone mentions importing/exporting I think of Art Vandelay from Seinfeld.

[/ QUOTE ]

"I suppose YOU could be an architect"

xwillience 07-18-2006 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Change your name to Art Vandelay

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently your not the only one.

benlj21 07-18-2006 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Import human cargo?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a profitable idea, albeit a bit sick. I've heard stories of 15 people lying on top of each other in a van with no AC, some of which died and could not be moved off the others. So yeah, it's a little rough. The most risk-free method for doing this is to take a group of people through the desert in, say, New Mexico (AZ is worse bc of the militia border patrol that will shoot you) because the government tends to assume that nobody is stupid enough to try to immigrate in such harsh conditions.
I learned all of the above in a high school Spanish class. I don't suggest you do it, but that's everything I know about it. That is all.

Baulucky 07-19-2006 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and boating over to Cuba to buy cigars.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are going to go illegal, my suggestion is to go very illegal. It pays off better and the punishment is similar.

Incidentally, one of the best smuggling opportunities available in the world today, consists of trafficking unleaded gasoline out of Venezuela ($0.13 per gallon retail). The obvious destinations are Colombia and Brazil, but maybe you can get a "mini tanker" loaded and reach one of the islands or the US. You'd need a gasoline station (for boats or trucks depending on your "route") or connection to an owner of same.