Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   What is the general rule for showing just one card? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=158586)

KSOT 07-10-2006 09:47 PM

What is the general rule for showing just one card?

The last time I was in a card room I flashed someone my ace after they folded. A woman sitting next to me demanded to see my other card cause "it's the rules." I didn't really care so I flipped up my other card for all to see and then mucked both of them.

I was just wondering if she was right or not. If so, what's to stop a player from mucking one card then showing the other?

bblock99 07-10-2006 09:55 PM

Re: What is the general rule for showing just one card?

I'm pretty sure that if no one called your bet, that you don't have to show both cards if you don't want to. I'm sure someone else will correct me if I'm wrong.

aal113086 07-10-2006 09:57 PM

even if it is a rule to show both just throw one card in the muck then show the one card and theres nothing anyone can do about it

youtalkfunny 07-11-2006 12:09 AM

The general rule: No, you don't have to show it.

But many cardrooms are changing this rule, including one I played in the other night. This is not a change I agree with.

In fact, any "house rule" that varies from commonly accepted practice is a very bad idea, no matter how well intentioned. All it does is create confusion among the players and the dealers.

Photoc 07-11-2006 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But many cardrooms are changing this rule, including one I played in the other night. This is not a change I agree with.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true. I have heard from two different dealers at the WSOP that this is in fact the rule in both cash and tournament games now. Show 1 card, show both.\

Btw this rule sucks ass.

obsidian 07-11-2006 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The last time I was in a card room I flashed someone my ace after they folded. A woman sitting next to me demanded to see my other card cause "it's the rules." I didn't really care so I flipped up my other card for all to see and then mucked both of them.

I was just wondering if she was right or not. If so, what's to stop a player from mucking one card then showing the other?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a misinterpretation of the "show one, show all" rule. It's referencing players, not cards. Unless it is a specific rule for that place you do not have to show both cards.

livenowson 07-11-2006 03:54 AM

Is there a particular reason to show one card?

Rick Nebiolo 07-11-2006 04:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In fact, any "house rule" that varies from commonly accepted practice is a very bad idea, no matter how well intentioned. All it does is create confusion among the players and the dealers.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Buy the Button" varied from commonly accepted practice, increases action, is a great new rule, and rarely causes confusion.

Anyway, one lead shift manager I recently spoke with said they broadened the classic show one show all rule (meaning show one person information (i.e., your cards), you must show all players the same information) to show one card, you must show both cards. His reasoning was that the practice was often being used to needle or tease an opponent who folded to a bet and wasn't good for the lower limit games, especially the lower limit no limit games.

I thought he had a reasonable point. What would be your counter-argument?

~ Rick

KSOT 07-12-2006 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there a particular reason to show one card?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to set someone's mind at ease by letting them know they were beat, but at the same time you don't want everyone knowing you played ace-rag.

youtalkfunny 07-12-2006 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
His reasoning was that the practice was often being used to needle or tease an opponent who folded to a bet and wasn't good for the lower limit games, especially the lower limit no limit games.

I thought he had a reasonable point. What would be your counter-argument?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see it as needling. Could you give an example of a player showing one card, in a way to offend/incite somebody?

I see cardrooms put up with the most vulgar trash talk. Of all the things they could do to stop needling, this seems the most misguided.

The only reason I don't like the rule is, it slows down the game, in the same way as the IWTSTH does. Players who couldn't care less what that guy was holding, suddenly sit up in their chairs, and cry, "IWTSTH! He opened the door to my right to see it, so I want to see it! Dealer, stop the game, and turn up his cards!" THIS creates far more ill will at the table, than any alleged "needle" that showing a single card could ever create.