Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   SheCantSayNo called it a "terrible play." 89ss in position. (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=155382)

odawg09090 07-06-2006 01:57 PM

SheCantSayNo called it a \"terrible play.\" 89ss in position.

This was pretty much the biggest and most controversial hand at my most recent session. It left me wondering. The UTG raiser is BLUFFforRENT who I viewed as a player who is very confident in his readmaking ability (he'll go with it 100%) and everyone knows SheCantSayNo as the godly BldSwtTrs, only the best player to have ever played the $10/20 game. He is very aggressive and makes sick reads.
In fact, the reason I'm posting the hand is because he's such a good player and he's questioning the play. I'm just wondering what you guys think of the hand.

Anyway, I don't have a real image at this table yet because I just logged on and started playing.

My Pokertracker stats on these guys:
BLUFFforRENT is a 26/15/2.75 TAG
SheCantSayNo is a 25/22/4.53 LAG

Here's the hand in question.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

<font color="#C00000">Hero ($2052)</font>
Button ($12961.75)
SB ($2795)
<font color="#C00000">(BB) BLUFFforRENT ($1970)</font>
(UTG)SheCantSayNo ($2125)
MP ($2244.50)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">SheCantSayNo raises to $72</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $72, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BLUFFforRENT raises to $235</font>, SheCantSayNo calls $183, Hero calls $183.

Flop: ($775) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BLUFFforRENT bets $390</font>, SheCantSayNo calls $390, <font color="#CC3333"> <font color="red"> BAM! </font> Hero raises to $980</font>.

On a side note, who calls that preflop and who folds?
I thought about this raise before making it. It was a small raise that was intended to look like a suck-in, 'iwantaction' raise. I think the first guy is good enough to fold KK or AA or AQ here. BldSwtTrs's read on me is that I normally have the goods in big pots. I think he'll put me on a set here everytime. So basically I'm hoping the first guy folds his overpair and that BldSwtTrs doesn't have a set here (how often does he raise a set here).

Besides, if I put in 260 preflop already with 89ss, I must make a play at this pot right? Discuss please.

frozzor 07-06-2006 02:07 PM

Re: SheCantSayNo called it a \"terrible play.\" 89ss in position.

i really like this play given your image
i think your play is better than his imo, i don't see what he's trying to accomplish with that raise pf

thedustbustr 07-06-2006 02:12 PM

why didn't you go allin? that is the obvious move here.

now that you have edited, i still think pushing is better, or at least raising pot and calling the push.

calling isn't so bad.

McIntireUVA 07-06-2006 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
why didn't you go allin? that is the obvious move here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this 2+2 witty sarcasm humor?

AlwaysAir 07-06-2006 02:16 PM

The play is good given you're image, but you're reraise on the flop is too small ~~

thedustbustr 07-06-2006 02:16 PM

he edited his post.

TheWorstPlayer 07-06-2006 02:16 PM

why would he go all in with a set on this dry board? obviously this raise will get him all in on the turn if called with no problem. i like this raise a lot. you can also save yourself 1k by checking the turn if you're called and it's checked to you.

thedustbustr 07-06-2006 02:19 PM

it needs to fold two players, and it's barely more than a minraise. i think this small raise has very little FE.

edit: and especially against players who make sick reads, i think 'leaving some behind in case' is a bad idea. either push it or call and make a choice on the turn.

TheWorstPlayer 07-06-2006 02:29 PM

The raise is obviously committing. It doesn't matter how big you make it. Even a min-raise would have been fine. But since a min-raise just requires clicking a button and a little bit bigger requires typing I think people are more respectful of non-min raises. So I like this size. It is clear that you are indicating you want to play for stacks. You don't need to push it in to paint that picture.

IRV 07-06-2006 02:31 PM

I find that bloated pots have less FE so I definately fold to the preflop reraise. As played I probably get the rest of it in on the turn.