Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Brick and Mortar (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Delmonico's vs Craft - need advice/opinions (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=154787)

DrNo888 07-05-2006 07:09 PM

Delmonico\'s vs Craft - need advice/opinions

The missus and I are heading to Vegas later this month to celebrate our 2nd Anniversary. From what I have read here on Vegas steakhouses, I am leaning towards one of these two for our anniversary dinner. So this is where you guys come in. Need your opinions for these two.

1) Which one should I choose and why, based on personal experience
2) Recommend appetizers for each place
3) Recommend entree or cut type (We'll defintely get steaks)
4) Recommend a desert or two

BTW, neither one of us drink. I cant due to acid reflux and she doesnt like alcohol. But I really want to try some wine there. Maybe, we can just get a glass of red wine to share. So maybe a red wine.

No write ins please. I will choose only from these two. Although, for the other night that she's there, we'll probably go to Sushi Mon or something similar. Do they have the same all you can eat deal for lunch?

slamdunkpro 07-05-2006 07:34 PM

Re: Delmonico\'s vs Craft - need advice/opinions

Out of the two I'd pick Delmonico's over Craft. I think Coliccho's joints are way overrated.

LasVegasMichael 07-05-2006 07:43 PM

Though I am a Venetian fanboy when it comes to the poker room, I have never been to Delmonico, so I cannot comment other then to say that it is very well reviewed year after year.

However, we did dine at Craftsteak, and will not return. I had the Kobe beef tartare which was very good, but the main dish was not something that was worth the high expense. Also, the dining room is not even remotely intimate, and overall, the place is just simply overrated.

For steak, we prefer Capital Grille at the Fashion Show or even Alize at the Palms (though Alize is not a steakhouse, it has an incredible NY Steak, probably the best in town that we have had). Capital Grille has a wonderful view, fairly intimate seating (though not as imtimate or elegant as Alize), and has wonderful dry aged meat.

Between the two you are choosing, I would go with Delmonico simply because we really did not enjoy Craftsteak, but that is just us.

mike4 07-05-2006 09:29 PM

I went to Delmonicos this weekend and thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of the dinner.

The appetizers we got were the bruschetta and the scallops. The scallops were the special but they were phenominal. I really enjoyed the bruschetta with melted mozzarella cheese. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.

I chose the bone in rib eye steak, medium rare. It was the best steak I have ever had in my life and I have been to many steakhouses in my day. It was cooked perfectly and had a perfect crisp to the outside. It literally melted in my mouth.

For wine I had a glass of reisling which is a white wine from germany. It is a delicious wine especially for people who do not drink much. It has a nice finish and is fairly sweet. Just check the back page of the wine menu and you will see it. There was only one reisling wine item.

We did not get dessert because we were all full. 4 men just got dominated by the steakhouse and we could barely move after dinner. It was totally worth it. You could definitely get a dinner for 2 under 150 which is nice.

We had 4 guys who were drinking and finished with about 350, not too bad. I would definitely go back and you can take your wife on a nice gondola ride after dinner. The Venetian is awesome.

Chimp 07-05-2006 09:45 PM

Craft is far, far superior to Delmonico's in pretty much every way. It's not close. FWIW, I was first in my class at culinary school and spend an ungodly amount dining out....so I have some basis for my snobby opinions.

1. quality of meat. This should be the #1 consideration when deciding b/w anysteakhouse. Craftsteak has a wide selection of types of beef for you to choose from (grass-fed, corn-fed, kobe) and dry ages them for up to five weeks (depending on cut). Their bone-in ribeye for two was pretty much the best thing I've ever eaten. Del.'s steaks are dry-aged and prime too, but I was just more impressed with the quality at Craft.

2. atmosphere: I prefer Craft here again. It's got a warmer feel with lots of natural wood tones and cozy private booths. Delmonico's is too bright for my taste and feels antiseptic and crowded.

3. execution: I've only been to Craftsteak twice and Delmonico's once, but Craftsteak cooked my steaks perfectly both times and the sides were well-made. Del. overcooked my steak slightly and the veggie side I got there was overcooked to the point of being disugusting.

4. service: about the same

5. originality/choice of menu: it's a steakhouse, so neither place is particularly innovative. Craft is better to me because it did some little things better than Del. For instance, Del. served a tomato salad when it was not tomato season - a big sign of a restaurant mailing it in. Craftsteak seemed to have a much more seasonal menu when it came to sides. Also, I'm a marrow freak, and I liked how Craftsteak served roasted marrow bones as a side with one of my steaks.

You'll have a good steak at both places, but overall, Craftsteak is just at a higher level.

GoblinMason (Craig) 07-05-2006 09:56 PM

I haven't been to craft, but I went to Delmonico's last week and it was very good.

For appitizers, the pretzel fondue was amazing.

-Craig

*TT* 07-05-2006 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Craft is far, far superior to Delmonico's in pretty much every way. It's not close. FWIW, I was first in my class at culinary school and spend an ungodly amount dining out....so I have some basis for my snobby opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

he guy I work for is a major restaurateur in NYC, as well as the owner of a publishing company. He called me up last weekend because he ate at Craft Steak for the first time and was underwhelmed. I have to admit I was surprised to hear that because I love Craft and Craftwitch, but since my boss was a judge on Iron Chef I'd tend to agree with his opinions.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

DrNo888 07-05-2006 11:37 PM

Thanks for the reponses so far guys. Looks like pretty even so far. Keep them coming.

slamdunkpro 07-06-2006 01:33 AM

I’m going to jump back in here with a couple additional comments:

I’m surprised at Chimp’s comment about Delmonico’s being bright. When I went there I thought it was on the dim side.

Craftsteak can be noisy and the two tops are very small.

I’ll agree with Chimp that Delmonico’s tends to overcook their veggies. This too has been my experience there.

After reviewing the current menus online, I was surprised to only see rib-eyes (bone in and bone out) on Delmonico’s menu.

Where you are staying also may factor in. I’ve been told that staying at the MGM will get you a better table and a $35 to $50 credit at Craftsteak, so you may want to give both hotels a call.

If you’re a real steak fanatic, opt for the hanger steak at Craftsteak.
(yes I’m changing my recommendation after some thought)

esch 07-06-2006 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
After reviewing the current menus online, I was surprised to only see rib-eyes (bone in and bone out) on Delmonico’s menu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe not a complete surprise given the name since a Delmonico refers to a specific kind of steak - in many parts of the country a Delmonico is a ribeye (and pretty much the only steak I order if I have a choice).

Not unlike Peter Luger's limited steak selection (Steak for 2, Steak for 3, etc), except in this case it's the porterhouse.