Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Door alternatives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=153965)

JordanIB 07-04-2006 05:06 PM

Door alternatives

That's probably a poor choice of topic, but I don't know what else to call it.

We turned one of the rooms in my apartment into a living room, so we removed the door that it came with. I've now put an A/C in this room, at only 6,000 BTU, so I'd like to put up some kind of covering on the doorway so that the cold air stays in the room and doesn't go out into the hallway. I'm thinking some type of curtain/drape setup, although I'm open to other ideas.

Is there anything I can put that'll save me from having to put the door back on?

The less cheese the better...no beads and I don't want it looking like people entering the living room are making a WWF entrance.

Elandriel 07-04-2006 05:09 PM

Re: Door alternatives

u know the wooden thingies where u can walk right through? they dont isolate very much but if u put a few in a row it might help some and maybe even looks nice.

or take the plastic flaps, they isolate more but look gay

JordanIB 07-04-2006 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
u know the wooden thingies where u can walk right through? they dont isolate very much but if u put a few in a row it might help some and maybe even looks nice.

or take the plastic flaps, they isolate more but look gay

[/ QUOTE ]

you mean like thick vertical blinds?

Elandriel 07-04-2006 05:29 PM

i think so, i dont know what its called in america its like some vertical plastic straps.

edit/ the wooden thingies are pieces of rope with wooden thingies on it, looks funny and you just can walk through them

bwana devil 07-04-2006 06:00 PM

clear plastic shower curtain

guids 07-04-2006 06:03 PM

Here is what I did, I have the same problem:

Target:

90% off window drape, 70 inches long I think, and a normal window drape metal rod, 2 nails on the top of the door and throw the rod up there after you put your curtain on it.

JordanIB 07-04-2006 09:33 PM

Yeah...I figured drape was my most economical option.

Lowes actually has some nice french doors for about $120. I might look into that if they are the right size. That's a good compromise for me, where you have a door to close off the room, but you have see-through glass so it "feels" open to the apt.

IggyWH 07-04-2006 09:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here is what I did, I have the same problem:

Target:

90% off window drape, 70 inches long I think, and a normal window drape metal rod, 2 nails on the top of the door and throw the rod up there after you put your curtain on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use an adjustable shower curtain rod to hang my drape instead of putting up a curtain rod. It works well for my bedroom since I don't have a door.

I paid like $9 for my drape at Wal-Mart but a shower curtain will also work as long as it's long enough.