Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Dealing with Study Abroad Braggers (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=149580)

waxie 06-28-2006 02:25 PM

Dealing with Study Abroad Braggers

You know who I’m talking about. The kid who studies abroad for a semester and now thinks they could be a correspondent for the travel channel. They can’t stop talking about how good the beer was and won’t watch anything but foreign films. They rooted against the U.S. in the World Cup “on principal.” Despite having almost no grasp on international affairs, they feel free to spout-off about all kinds of complex political issues.

Please note I am not disparaging all people who have studied abroad or traveled. Just the annoying ones.

What is the most effective way to get these morons to shut up? I’m looking for good one-liners in particular.

PITTM 06-28-2006 02:28 PM

Re: Dealing with Study Abroad Braggers

i go to the university of california-santa cruz. our school is pretty much all hippy [censored] who go study abroad and then think they could qualify as a historian for said country. i find the best way is to ignore them and disregard that they exist.

rj

NT! 06-28-2006 02:31 PM

In class, I would respond with facts and relevant arguments with little needling remarks worked in.

Anywhere else I would respond by making fun of the person mercilessly and ostracizing them until they pulled their head out of their ass.

NT

Evan 06-28-2006 02:32 PM

Almost all of my friends have studied abroad (I haven't) and very very few are like this. Is it very common at your school?

waxie 06-28-2006 02:34 PM

Not so much at my school, but I just moved into a house for the summer and two of the four act this way. We're all interns in DC and we found eachother on craigs list. I have a lot of friends who have studied abroad and aren't doucebags.

NT! 06-28-2006 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost all of my friends have studied abroad (I haven't) and very very few are like this. Is it very common at your school?

[/ QUOTE ]

In school I found that a LOT of people kind of suck for about two weeks when they get back but only the real douche helmets stay this way long enough that you can't just wait it out

NT

Evan 06-28-2006 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In school I found that a LOT of people kind of suck for about two weeks when they get back but only the real douche helmets stay this way long enough that you can't just wait it out

NT

[/ QUOTE ]
You could be right. I usually don't see them for the two weeks after they get back since it tends to be at the end of a semester.

waxie 06-28-2006 02:40 PM

I'm really just looking for snappy oneliners. Right now, whenever they tell me some stupid story for the eighth time, I say "Wait, wait, you studied abroad? Where?".

poker-penguin 06-28-2006 02:42 PM

Perhaps it's not that they studied abroad but just that they are douchebags.

I studied abroad, it was fun, whatever, thankfully the rest of my life has been pretty interesting too so I don't feel the need to go on about it.

One liners:

"This one time, at band camp..."
"Yeah, we get it, you went overseas, big [censored] deal"

That or pwn them hard and publicly on some history / culture thing about their destination.

Or

"So in Czech [or whatever] you drank fifteen pints for three bucks? Wow. When Sup Bro was all county defensive line, Sup Bro had fifteen tackles for loss!"

NT! 06-28-2006 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really just looking for snappy oneliners. Right now, whenever they tell me some stupid story for the eighth time, I say "Wait, wait, you studied abroad? Where?".

[/ QUOTE ]

It really needs to be based on what they're telling you about, with really earnest people you can ask them retarded questions and wait for them to catch on. Else you should just be good at situational humor. Can't teach it, sorry [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

NT