Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   MTT Strategy (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   the mammoth allin overbet - the biggest online tell? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=13483)

blufish 01-16-2006 07:08 PM

the mammoth allin overbet - the biggest online tell?

Noticing quite a bit of this recently and called with 2nd pair twice this weekend to a potentially tournament ending overbet to a much larger stack. Worked out both times. Most obvious tell?

AlphaWice 01-16-2006 07:19 PM

Re: the mammoth allin overbet - the biggest online tell?

depends on the street. On the riv, more likely to be bluff. On preflop, more likely to be a made hand. Also depends on limit. In general, watch out. For example, if its bet 10x the pot, you have to be right 10/21 times ~ almost half the time.

RichC. 01-16-2006 07:22 PM

its sort of a tell, though i usually only make this type of bluff when it is checked to me on a rag flop and its a sizable pot. I also like to make this bet when I've got the nuts, hoping someone thinks its a bluff and makes the call.

nath 01-16-2006 07:28 PM

The times I've encountered it it usually tends to be a player "protecting" a weak made hand. The last two times it happened to me opponent had 96o on a Q94 board and A4 on a 554 board.
A good player will be able to do this with a powerhouse, but if your opponent exhibits donkish tendencies at all, you can feel more secure it's a weak hand.

hecubus 01-16-2006 07:53 PM

I'll do it often to make it *appear* I'm trying to protect a weak hand, or to try to make people think I want them out of the pot. Meanwhile, I'm holding the nuts and people call more often than I would think. I guess this would be reversing the classic Caro "reverse tell". It seems to work!

THEOSU 01-16-2006 09:03 PM

on flop: tends to be bluff.

on river: tends to be made hand.

on turn: fifty/fifty.

SossMan 01-16-2006 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On the riv, more likely to be bluff. On preflop, more likely to be a made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
on flop: tends to be bluff.

on river: tends to be made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

i love general advice.

betgo 01-16-2006 10:53 PM

Preflop -- AK, or some other strong hand.

On the flop -- If the board is drawish, a strong draw or two pair.

On the river -- A very strong hand or maybe a bluff.

Could be a huge hand if opponent reads you for a big hand. Maybe a boat if opponent reads you for trips or a flush.

I am assuming opponent atleast halfway knows what he is doing. A complete fish could do this with second pair or whatever.

restrikt 01-16-2006 11:16 PM

I often go all in on the river to induce a call. So it depends on the level of thinking your opponent thinks you are at, and you think he is at.

mlagoo 01-16-2006 11:26 PM

so i think what we have determined is that on any given street, it either means the opponent has (a) a very strong hand; (b) a weak made hand; or (c) a complete bluff.