Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Politics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Constitutional Amendment (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=131740)

elwoodblues 06-06-2006 11:26 AM

Constitutional Amendment

Ignore for a moment whether you favor gay marriage or not. Ignore whether you think there are a band of runaway judges just trying to ram gay marriage down your throat (I love that imagery, by the way.)

Is this really something that should be a constitutional amendment?

Should the Constitution be Amended to create Super-legislation, or should a Constitutional Amendment be more than that?

Riddick 06-06-2006 11:28 AM

Re: Constitutional Amendment

If its for the "general welfare" then it seems as though legislators can and "should" do anything they feel, right?

pvn 06-06-2006 11:31 AM

Still waiting for the "everyone gets a pony" amendment.

ericd 06-06-2006 11:37 AM

No. I know almost nothing about the law but what "trendy" issue would be next? I assume this is just placating the base.

DrunkHamster 06-06-2006 11:42 AM

You know what would be better? If, instead of worrying about amending the constitution, legislators followed it. I say this as a Brit looking in at your whole political process, thinking WTF happened to half the stuff in the original document.

Kurn, son of Mogh 06-06-2006 11:43 AM

I don't think there should be any rules as to what should or should not be a valid topic for a Constitutional Amendment. The process is designed to make it hard for politcal whim to prevail, and we have history that shows a bad amendment can be undone.

Let the process do the talking.

irvman21 06-06-2006 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know what would be better? If, instead of worrying about amending the constitution, legislators followed it. I say this as a Brit looking in at your whole political process, thinking WTF happened to half the stuff in the original document.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the stuff that, you know, wasn't addressed in the document when it was originally written?

elwoodblues 06-06-2006 12:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about the stuff that, you know, wasn't addressed in the document when it was originally written?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like whether gays should be married or flags burned or alcohol consumed.

Stu Pidasso 06-06-2006 12:41 PM

The definition of marriage should be consistent accross all the states, and is something that should not change at a political whim. I think an admendment is necessary.

Stu

Brainwalter 06-06-2006 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know what would be better? If, instead of worrying about amending the constitution, legislators followed it. ... WTF happened to half the stuff in the original document.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could not agree more.