Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Which gym should I join? (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=131453)

Mitch Evans 06-06-2006 12:53 AM

Which gym should I join?

I gave my cage, weights, bench and other related gear to my nephew a while ago, and would rather do the gym thing now anyway, so which gym would be best for me to join? I’ve lifted in the past and don’t need routine/diet advice from trainers or classes. My bf is about 7%, so I just want to get in and lift and don’t need cardio machines, but I’m not looking for a roid-palace either.

My needs:
24 hour access
Extensive free weights
Leave me alone

So, which gym?

edfurlong 06-06-2006 12:54 AM

Re: Which gym should I join?

I think your only option is 24 hour fitness. I don't know of any other gyms open 24 hours.

guids 06-06-2006 12:55 AM

St. Louis Weightlifting Club. Thats where I go.

Mitch Evans 06-06-2006 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think your only option is 24 hour fitness. I don't know of any other gyms open 24 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gold's is 24 hours too, but I guess that limits my options, so if you guys think small local gyms are better than franchise gyms, I could go without the 24-hour benefit.

edfurlong 06-06-2006 01:06 AM

Most places will let you get a trial membership for a a week or so to check them out. Just try a couple and see what you like. I go to 24 and I like it because no one is ever using the cage(unless it's for curls, [censored]) or anything that isn't a machine.

Edit: Gyms vary a ton from place to place, my 24 is in Portland is sweet. The one in my area in Washington was super ghetto, mismatched dumbells, cramped and dirty.

Empty_House 06-06-2006 01:29 AM

OR, just do it for free. Sprint into the gyms, yell something about having to pee and go straight for the bathroom. After they are onto your [censored], move to the next gym.

ThaSaltCracka 06-06-2006 01:46 AM

I belong to 24 Hour, pretty nice and they are everywhere if you get the all club membership.

Warik 06-06-2006 01:48 AM

Use Google to find gyms in your area and visit them... make sure they're lifter-friendly and not some lame ass fitness club that doesn't allow deadlifting and stuff.

Unless you know somebody in your area who already belongs to a great gym, trial and error is really your best bet.

You can't all be lucky and live near a Porky's gym like me. =)

gusmahler 06-06-2006 10:42 AM

This is a pretty stupid question because we have no idea where you live or what your choices are.

SackUp 06-06-2006 11:01 AM

find the gym that is closest to you. you are much more likely to go if going to the gym is convenient.