Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Stud (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   3rd street question (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=1272)

uwda 12-30-2005 12:21 PM

3rd street question

Sure looks pretty, but the straight draw is pretty dead, and no 2 flush. Raise or fold?

7 Card Stud High ($2/$4), Ante $0.25, Bring-In $1 (hand converter (use internet explorer))

3rd Street - (0.88 SB)

Hero: K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ___????
Seat 2: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 3: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Seat 5: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Seat 6: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 7: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___brings-in
Seat 8: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ___calls

Roland 12-30-2005 12:33 PM

Re: 3rd street question

I fold. Unsuited high cards suck multi-way, and most 2/4 pots are gonna be multi-way.

Mac 12-30-2005 03:48 PM

If I'm running over the table OR have a tight image at the table OR the table is playing pretty tight, I'll put in a raise. However, Roland's right, in a loose 2/4 game, you might want to just fold on third. This hand can get you into trouble.

- Mac

Andy B 01-01-2006 02:26 PM

Raising would be fine if you thought that that would get you heads-up with the limper. I don't think that that will be the case in most $2/4 games. Folding may be best, but I'd call. It probably won't get raised behind you. Assuming that there is another limper behind you (and there will probably be more), you're getting 5:1. The odds of you making a big pair on fourth street are 4:1 against. Of course, that's not the same as the odds of you winning the hand. Even if you don't hit anything, you may be able to buy the pot by betting fourth and fifth. If you bet fourth and fifth, though, that 5:1 just went out the window. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

greenage 01-01-2006 03:14 PM

Roy West places this hand in the “overcard” category as opposed to the “straight” category. If you catch a Jack or a Ten, you are still left with a gutshot. Please don’t flame me, I’m just trying to join the discussion. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Since he has the Ace in the door and it’s only half a SB to complete, would it be worth it if you could fold everyone except the limper and one other caller? If I added correctly, the resultant pot would give you over 4:1 on your money.

Andy B 01-01-2006 03:31 PM

Yes, but raising cuts down your implied odds. You are drawing here, after all.

greenage 01-01-2006 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, but raising cuts down your implied odds. You are drawing here, after all.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, ty.