Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Medium Stakes Limit (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   Turn decision w/ AK improved (AQ5Q board) (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=118798)

elindauer 05-21-2006 03:32 PM

Turn decision w/ AK improved (AQ5Q board)

Typical online middle limit game. Too loose, probably a bit too aggressive.

EP limps. Hijack raises. CO calls 2 cold (not unusual for this game). You 3-bet big slick. Everyone calls.

4 players to the flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
you have no clubs if it matters

It's checked to you as expected and you bet. All 3 players call. This surprises you a little. The game is loose, but in a heads-up-always-goes-to-showdown kind of way, not in the low-limit, over-over-call-77 kind of way.

Turn: [AQ5] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It's checked to you. What's your play? If you bet, indicate whether you intend to call down unimproved heads up.

-Eric

TStoneMBD 05-21-2006 03:52 PM

Re: Turn decision w/ AK improved (AQ5Q board)

depends on the players and whether any of them are capable of checkraisebluffing this card.

in general though the play is bet/fold but checking the turn and having a bet go in on the river is close. its player dependant. however, ill often check this turn because there is value in being able to fold to a bet and a raise on the river. its very likely someone has a queen out there.

joy2mike 05-21-2006 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Typical online middle limit game. Too loose, probably a bit too aggressive.

EP limps. Hijack raises. CO calls 2 cold (not unusual for this game). You 3-bet big slick. Everyone calls.

4 players to the flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
you have no clubs if it matters

It's checked to you as expected and you bet. All 3 players call. This surprises you a little. The game is loose, but in a heads-up-always-goes-to-showdown kind of way, not in the low-limit, over-over-call-77 kind of way.

Turn: [AQ5] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

It's checked to you. What's your play? If you bet, indicate whether you intend to call down unimproved heads up.

-Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd bet/fold turn unless I thought CO might be aggressive enough to checkraise an AcXc.

mcvalenc 05-21-2006 06:52 PM

By default I would bet/fold the turn. I like a check if the pot was smaller but now the pot's too big IMO to risk giving a free card to a flush draw (or broadway gutshot). I'm willing to take the small risk of getting bluff raised off the hand, the (semi-)bluff raiser would have to go through a lot of opponents and river cards to pull this one off.

tpir 05-21-2006 07:38 PM

I don't think there would be a huge difference between bet/fold and check/call-only-one-on-the-river since the times we are behind we only have like one out. There are times when we are ahead though and mising out on some value. I think that sways it enough to the bet side. Bet/fold.

nubs 05-21-2006 11:02 PM

With the flush draw and numerous gutshots i can't imagine checking here. What am I missing?

RED_RAIN 05-22-2006 12:46 AM

I like a bet most of the time because of the amount of draws, I don't hate a check, but I think bet is better.

I don't auto bet/fold, if the first person check/raise and it'll be HUs, I think I want to see showdown (not another club and somewhat player dependent)

If it goes bet, call, call, check/raise or the like, then I don't mind a fold.

I really don't understand how everyone is like bet/fold, as I just don't see a ton of players doing that or thinking that. But that's 2+2 (wow, what a soapbox)

No one ever hear of a semi-bluff? If this bet/fold play is supposely 100% of the posters here, prepare for me to run you over.

fyodor 05-22-2006 12:05 PM

RED RAIN, it's because of players like you that I like checking the turn.

Jeffage 05-22-2006 12:22 PM

I check behind against that field. With that many players, it's pretty likely someone has tripped since there is also a chance more action happens on the flop with another ace out. That said, the decision is close because you really don't want to give a free card to someone's gutterball (which would prob fold to a bet) or club draw (which wouldn't fold to a bet). But I think it's likely you will be checkraised and I'd rather show the hand down then bet fold. Also, there is always a chance you will be checkraised by a worse ace and lay down the best hand. Not likely, but I've seen stranger on the World Wide Web. I check the turn behind and plan to play GOOT on the end, typically paying off one bet.

Jeff

Bluffoon 05-22-2006 03:34 PM

If you bet I think you have to call down an unprotected check raise so you cant bet/fold 100% of the time.

If you check you are giving a free card but you are likely behind and if the river card is bad and it goes bet/raise to you you can fold and avoid putting in any big bets at all. You could get pushed off your hand by a river raise by a hand you could beat but thats not likely and I take that chance.

I like a turn check.