Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Other Other Topics (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   people who wait until the end of a ring to pick up the phone (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=109021)

junglewarfare 05-09-2006 09:05 PM

people who wait until the end of a ring to pick up the phone

Goddamn do I [censored] hate this. Especially when they pick up the phone in their hand at the exact wrong time and have to wait a really long time until they press the talk button and say hello.

Lame people do this.

mute5 05-09-2006 09:13 PM

Re: people who wait until the end of a ring to pick up the phone

Does the ringing on one end of the line sync-up with the ringing on the other end? Cuz if not then the one (still lameass) reason I can think people do this is out the window.

garion888 05-09-2006 09:15 PM

Not on cellphones with their ridiculous overture's of ringtones...

Elevens 05-09-2006 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the ringing on one end of the line sync-up with the ringing on the other end? Cuz if not then the one (still lameass) reason I can think people do this is out the window.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my first guess.

My second guess is that sometimes people wait for caller ID to show up.

My answer, however, is that you are just being a nit.

Mr. T 05-09-2006 09:19 PM

This seems like a stupid thing to get all worked up about.

junglewarfare 05-09-2006 09:19 PM

I am mostly talking about normal tone house phones, not fancy cellphone song rings.

Elevens,

The people who do this will do it no matter when, if they pick up the phone before the 5th ring they still do it.

KingDan 05-09-2006 09:21 PM

When people miss a call, I [censored] hate that missed call beep.

Especially after the 10th beep.

pulledagroin 05-09-2006 09:21 PM

Weird, I've never noticed anyone do this. I hope I never have to work in an office where I think this would occur a lot.

gusmahler 05-09-2006 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the ringing on one end of the line sync-up with the ringing on the other end?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. They are independent events. The ringing you hear in your earpiece is just a convenience for you to know that the call is going through. Unfortunately, I can't find a link that says so. But it is easily seen if you call a cell phone with a song ring tone. Obviously, the target phone isn't "ringing" in the same manner as a normal phone does. But you still hear it.

Aside, my mom taught me and my siblings never to answer the phone on the first ring. Don't remember why. But after I read that the ringing on your end is independent of the ringnig on the other end, I dropped that idea.

private joker 05-09-2006 09:27 PM

What annoys me is when people say "hello?" before they bring the phone to their mouth.

They click the Talk button, but at that point the phone is down by their waist or chest. Then they say "hello" while bringing it up to their face, but by the time the receiver is against their lips, the word has already been uttered, and all I hear on the other end is "-o?" at best. Sometimes nothing. And then I have to say "hello?" to them! And they're like "yeah, I'm here, what!"