Two Plus Two Newer Archives

Two Plus Two Newer Archives (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   High Stakes (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   5/10 - flopped bottom set (http://archives1.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=108558)

pocketjesuits 05-09-2006 11:14 AM

5/10 - flopped bottom set

The preflop raiser (MP2) is a donkey who will go to the felt with an overpair. Button is a solid winning regular (22/12) who most likely has the same read on MP2 that I do.

MP2 has a half stack ($500) and hero and button are both about $1000 behind.

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is SB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, 2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 raises to $40</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, UTG calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($210, 5 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#cc0000">MP2 bets $175</font>, MP3 folds, Button calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero ????</font>

Yeti 05-09-2006 11:17 AM

Re: 5/10 - flopped bottom set

I would call, and check the turn. I don't think it's debatable.

pocketjesuits 05-09-2006 11:22 AM

You don't consider a fold?

The preflop raiser has pretty much advertised that he has an overpair and button is still interested in playing for his stack. Button's not playing AA/KK this way, and I don't think 85s is very likely. I suppose JJ/QQ are possibilities but I think he reraises QQ preflop quite often - it seems like 88/55 to me.

I should have also added that there wasn't much hesitation in Button's flop call.

05-09-2006 11:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call, and check the turn. I don't think it's debatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

It certainly is debatable.

I would throw in a pot-bulding raise because

[ QUOTE ]
The preflop raiser (MP2) is a donkey who will go to the felt with an overpair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate to let him get away from this with his 99-QQ when an overcard falls.

05-09-2006 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't consider a fold?

The preflop raiser has pretty much advertised that he has an overpair and button is still interested in playing for his stack. Button's not playing AA/KK this way, and I don't think 85s is very likely. I suppose JJ/QQ are possibilities but I think he reraises QQ preflop quite often - it seems like 88/55 to me.

I should have also added that there wasn't much hesitation in Button's flop call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm almost never folding fearing set over set (and I'm pretty confident that that isn't a huge leak, if it's one at all). And if I am, it certainly won't be to the action that occurred on this flop.

Yeti 05-09-2006 11:26 AM

pocketjesuits,

Please don't fold here.

KramerTM,

When you call the pot is $735 on the turn and MP2 has $285 left. I'd imagine he is putting it in on any turn with those hands 95% of the time, as well as many other holdings. This way you get to try and eke out more money from the button.

pocketjesuits 05-09-2006 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm almost never folding fearing set over set (and I'm pretty confident that that isn't a huge leak, if it's one at all).

[/ QUOTE ]

Me neither, and that's why i'm wondering if I should start considering it.

[ QUOTE ]
And if I am, it certainly won't be to the action that occurred on this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? This flop is incredibly dry, yet button has just called a pot-sized bet knowing full well that the rest of the money is going in on the turn.

What could he realistically have here that I beat?

05-09-2006 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
pocketjesuits,

Please don't fold here.

KramerTM,

When you call the pot is $735 on the turn and MP2 has $285 left. I'd imagine he is putting it in on any turn with those hands 95% of the time, as well as many other holdings. This way you get to try and eke out more money from the button.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what are the intentions of your call? To trap Button?

Yeti 05-09-2006 11:29 AM

pocketjesuit,

99, TT, JJ.

You call MP2 a donkey. Why are you so sure he has an overpair here?

Yeti 05-09-2006 11:29 AM

KramerTM,

Yes.